Friday, January 17, 2014

The 4:10 AM Burglar and The Door Lock

At 4:10 AM this morning I say bolt upright in my bed because a small green light was flashing around the entrance to my room.  Everything was silent and I couldn't tell what was happening or who was in the room.  Then, I discovered it was my son.

We had several discussions over the next twenty minutes about how he should be in bed.  He explained that he wanted to read a book, which is interesting because he can't read.  He can view the pictures though, and I told him he could do that in his bedroom or in their playroom, which has a light on all night long.  He said okay and walked away. 

A few minutes later I got up because for some strange reason there was a dim light on in our bathroom and the door was mostly closed.  As I walked towards the bathroom, I stumbled over a pacifier.  Then I saw what had happened:  my son had gotten up, walked downstairs in the dark with his pacifier, gotten the small stool from the side of our bed the dog uses, taken it into our bathroom, shut the door most of the way and turned on the light with the dimmer on low.  Then he'd gotten his light-up toothbrush and went off to get some books to read.  It was during that last bit that I woke up startled.

It was quiet so I figured he was back upstairs.  I took his pacifier up to his room and found him nowhere.  I looked all over and finally found him on the main floor beside the under counter light we leave on at night so the house isn't completely dark.  He was, "reading" he told me, only could I help him find Mickey Mouse because he didn't know what page he was on.

I took him upstairs and he agreed he was tired.  Today, I put the child-proof cover back on the door to his room (which isn't that child-proof).  I reinforced it with duct tape.  I don't think I want him investigating the knife block in the middle of the night any time soon.

The Big Boy Update:  After I turned down the music in the car this morning because it was too loud, my son said, "quiet is available right now," to his sister.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had Pei Wei for lunch and I got edamame beans for everyone.  My son loves them and my daughter has decided she does too.  She wanted to use her child's chopsticks on them and I had little faith she would be successful, but time and time again she picked up a single bean, moved it around to show us or offer it to someone and then ate it. 

Fitness Update:  It's been group circuit work at the gym lately, and I really like it.  Today was a non-stop cardio day with lots of weight work and pushups and other additions that made it a tough morning.  But fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment