Sunday, January 19, 2014

Crème de Menthe Parfait

On my birthday as a child, I was allowed to select the restaurant I wanted to go to for my birthday dinner.  There was one special restaurant I loved to go to that was unrivaled.  It wasn't a children's restaurant, they didn't have a children's menu and children were only welcomed there if they were well-behaved.

You had to dress nicely and the food was largely targeted at adults including fancy steaks and a large selection of wines.  I'm not sure why I liked going there other than it was expensive.  I think it might have been their dessert though.  They had vanilla ice cream with Crème de Menthe on the top. 

I have no recollection of anything I ever ordered at that restaurant as a child, other than the dessert.  There was alcohol in the topping, but it wasn't much.  What it did do, was give an amazing taste to the ice cream. 

Tonight, we went with friends to this same restaurant.  For dessert, I looked through the list of items they offered and then saw the Crème de Menthe parfait.  When I asked what it was (because parfait sounds fancy) it was vanilla ice cream, mint liqueur and a cherry.  Maybe that cherry made it into a parfait. 

There were other desserts that were more appealing to me as an adult, but I ordered the boring ice cream because I wanted to remember it from my childhood.  I had forgotten how good it was. 

Today, for over half my life, I've had Crème de Menthe sitting in my cabinet in my house.  Why is it I never think to put it on ice cream at home?

The Big Boy Update:  I heard something I never expected to hear this afternoon.  After my son had watched television for a while, he got up and as he walked out of the room said, "It's enough T.V.  Pause it.  I mean, would you turn it off?" 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Face scratcher.  She gets back at her brother some times by scratching his face, or at least trying to.  She moves her hand with her fingernails extended in a slow swipe.  He can easily get out of her way...but sometimes he doesn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment