Monday, January 20, 2014

The Moving Away Dinner

We went to a dinner tonight for a friend who is moving away at the end of the month.  I've known him for a long time and our lives have crossed in many ways.  He's lived here for twenty-three years and is moving away now for multiple reasons.  Everyone is going to miss him.

I met him many years ago in the early nineties at Electronics Boutique.  I would shop there regularly and the guy I was dating and I became friends with Matt because we were in the store all the time.  We invited Matt over and got to know him well.  

Later, I stopped dating that guy and at some point started dating Matt.  We dated for a while and then realized we weren't to be and both moved on.  He met and then married someone who also became my friend.  

He and she were married for ten years, adopted an older child who is now eighteen and on his own and then divorced.  But she and he have both remained friends of ours during all the changes in our lives.

He's going to New Hampshire in support of the Libertarian Free State project and will work remotely with his company down here.  I hope he meets nice people and makes great friends up there.  His long-time friends here will miss him.

The Big Boy Update:  Left handed.  He's left handed I can say with a high level of confidence.  He usually uses his left hand for things more than his right.  We haven't paid attention at all or made suggestions so it's his natural choice.  I think his sister may be left-handed too but we're going to need more time to evaluate her as she's not completely decided yet.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "It's my pumpkin!"  I was moving things around today and she saw her Halloween Jack-o-lantern she carried around the neighborhood to collect candy in.  She picked it up, looked in it and said, "there's no candy."  She wasn't overly upset that we had to wait until next Halloween to get more in her pumpkin but she did decide she wanted to put some beads in it and walk around the house carrying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment