Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Fire and The Painted House

Yesterday afternoon the doorbell rang.  It was my neighbor's son who told me, "our yard is on fire, the fire truck is coming."  He told me my son most likely would want to see the fire truck.  After getting more information by way of the phrase, "your yard is on fire?!" and discovering everything was under control, I ran downstairs and brought my children outside.

We had a nice time looking at the blackened grass (that had caught due to a spark from a tile saw) and we all looked at the fire truck.  My son and daughter sat on the back, got to sit in the driver's seat and even pressed the horn.  They got fire fighter stickers from Amber, one of the firefighters who had come on the truck.

I asked which fire station they came from.  It turns out they were from what I like to call my, "home fire station".  It's the fire station I knew as a child and it's the one I've driven by regularly as an adult.  If anything happened to my parents house, the first town home I ever owned, my second home or my current home, that fire station would send out trucks to help us.  You can't get more, "home fire station" than that.

When I was young, my parents decided to paint their house.  They looked around for someone to do it and happened upon a gentleman who was a firefighter at that very station.  He liked to paint houses when he wasn't working as a fireman.  It took him a good while to paint our house, by hand, on his off days.  I thought it was cool.  How many people get their houses painted by a fireman?

The Big Boy Update:  "I jump over the floor."  Children have a different perspective on things at times.  My son was jumping off the edge of the bed and daddy was catching him, which technically is jumping over the floor.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was working on the iPad, doing a puzzle game she loves to do.  When she completes the puzzle there are clapping sounds and balloons float up from the bottom.  You can tap the balloons and they pop, which might be her favorite part of the app.  Daddy was watching her this morning and she said, "wanna pop the balloons?" to daddy.  Daddy said he would be glad to and she said, "kay" and let him do the fun part.

Fitness Update:  Today was tough at the gym; so tough Don sent us home five minutes early, saying, "that's enough for today." 

No comments:

Post a Comment