Thursday, January 9, 2014

Soup is Available (and Other New Expectations)

We have been intentionally flexible with our children when it comes to food.  We want to give them options on what they can eat at meals, while kow towing to their demands.  For example, I give them several things for breakfast like grapes, dried craisins, yogurt and toast.  They may eat some or all of a particular item and they may choose not to eat all of some of any one choice.  And that's fine.  I stick the remainder back in the refrigerator and offer it again at a future time.

We're starting to see patterns now.  For instance, they love bananas, but only for a period of time.  At that point they decide they've had enough bananas and any bananas we offer for the next several weeks will be largely wasted.  I don't mind a child phasing through foods--I do that myself.  But what I do expect is the child to eat what is offered to them without expecting a replacement meal just because it doesn't suit their mood.

For example, my son would like pancakes for breakfast most mornings.  He doesn't get pancakes very often and when he does, it's usually on the weekend.  I expect him to eat the toast or cereal or English muffin (which is equally delicious) because that's what we're having this morning.  And I don't expect either child to pitch a fit about it.

However, giving them choices and expecting them to eat what's offered to them can be somewhat in conflict.  Last night we decided to offer our children soup for dinner.  If they ate their soup, they could have dessert.  My daughter ate lots of soup and had two helpings of Jello.  My son decided he didn't want soup and rebelled for two hours, almost going to bed without dinner, until he gave in and ate the soup (that he loves).  He had a small dessert as a result.

These children are one battle after another.  If you're not prepared for a fight to make them flexible and able to adapt to all kinds of situations, you can give in any time you like, thus making your like more difficult in the long run.

The Big Boy Update:  "I want a close up."  My son came downstairs this morning and announced it was light outside so it was time for breakfast.  He looked at the clouds, which were just getting some color as the sun rose, and said, "look at the purple clouds.  I want a close up."  At which point he moved closer to the clouds by walking towards the window. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "They're upstairs."   This morning she brought down her pacifiers when she and my son escaped their room before breakfast.  I told her she had to put her pacifiers upstairs before she could eat breakfast.  She disappeared for a few seconds, came back and said, "they're upstairs."  And they were--she showed me where they were, upstairs two steps from the bottom step.

Fitness Update:  I missed a running opportunity with Uncle Jonathan today where he ran a half marathon (so jealous) but I did make it to the fitness room for some upper body work.  That was fun in a whole different way from workouts with other people as I was alone the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment