Thursday, January 23, 2014

Trading Two Knowns for Four Unknowns

I substituted at school for a short while today.  There was an all-staff meeting and they needed some substitutes to step in and help with the after school classes.  I've substituted for this particular class before and the first time I walked in the room I was a bit anxious.  Ten minutes later, I realized I was in over my head.

This particular class is four to six toddlers two and under.  Potty training is ongoing, but accidents are frequent.  The students have been in school long enough to know expectations, but they also know you're not their main teacher and they like to see what they can get away with when the main teacher isn't there. 

In most classes when I've substituted, I am one of two teachers and the other teacher can let me know what is and what isn't appropriate or allowed.  In this class that I was in today, I didn't know what materials the children could select, what the rules were outside with the sand box and about seventeen other things I didn't realize I didn't know until I was all alone with small children swarming around me.

We had fun though and when the teacher came back I voiced my suspicions and found out I was right in most cases.  They had gotten away with some things, but not too much. 

It's much easier dealing with two knowns (my children) than four unknowns (students in an environment I'm unfamiliar with).

The Big Boy Update:  Random napper.  When my son decides to go to sleep, he likes to sleep for a long time.  Lately, we haven't been asking them to nap, but on occasion one or both of them will decide to.  When he does, we have to open the door to his room after several hours, bang pans around, make a commotion and sometimes have to go and physically wake him up.  It's great that he likes to nap, but then he doesn't want to go to bed later, and that's not fun for the grown ups.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Adamant.  When she wants (or doesn't want) something, she can sometimes be easily convinced otherwise.  But on occasion, she is absolutely adamant about her decision.  When you try to sway her the other way (or when you tell her what she wants isn't an option), you may well be met with a scream.  We try not to laugh, but it is cute.

Fitness Update:  Fitness room this afternoon with Uncle Jonathan.  We did cardio and the weight machines.  There's this one that does loads of exercises for arms and upper body.  It's fun.  I like that machine the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment