Sunday, January 5, 2014

They Can Escape Now

For a while now we've been locking the children into their bedroom when they go to sleep either for a nap or overnight.  Not locked so much as they couldn't work the child-safety knob on the door to get out.  At first, my son was the only one who could work the door, then my daughter could.  We've been debating if they're old enough to give them the ability to leave the room if they want to. 

 For some time at nap time we would leave the door cracked if we wanted my son or daughter to come out and downstairs when they woke up.  Sometimes we'd even open the door and bang around pots and pans or socialize loudly downstairs when they were sleeping soundly (they're both excellent sleepers). 

Three days ago we decided to see how it would go in the morning to give them their freedom.  We didn't expect it to be a major change, mostly because they're accustomed to spending time in their room playing when they wake up.  Also, we didn't think they'd notice right away. 

They did figure it out on Saturday morning and both came down.  This morning only my son came down.  I didn't realize why my daughter wasn't coming down as well, especially since I was telling her breakfast was ready, and then I realized she'd gotten herself stuck.  She was calling out asking for help to get down from the desk she'd used a riding car to climb onto, only to have her brother remove the car later. 

Last night, my son didn't want to go to sleep and he tested his freedom several times.  I sat in the room with him and we talked about how he wasn't invited out of his room until morning and that it was his time to sleep.   He was good the rest of the night.

The Big Boy Update:  Apparently there doesn't need to be water in the tub to have fun.  This morning he put lots of tub toys in the tub, got in and out lots of times fully dressed and had a great time.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Do you want a band-aid for your finger?"  My two-year-old wanted to make sure Mimi's finger was taken care of.  Band-aids are very popular for "boo boos" in our house.

Fitness Update:
  Six miles in the park.  I like the park in the winter as well as the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment