Thursday, December 12, 2013

Too Old to be Carded

Remember when you were old enough to drink alcohol and you would proudly pull out your drivers license to show to the cashier?  I looked young and I got carded all the time.  I didn't mind for the most part because I didn't look so young that they didn't believe I was old enough, just young enough to make sure.

I remember going to Las Vegas when I was in my thirties and getting carded by one of the security guards because you can't gamble if you're under aged.  I was so happy to be carded then.   I remember that being about the sunset time of my "era of being carded". 

As you get older and your face and hands look their age, the people ringing up your purchases don't give you a second glance because, clearly, that lady is waaaay over twenty-one.  I look at myself in the mirror these days and depending on my hair style and the clothes I'm wearing, it's clear that yes, I am far removed from the pre-drinking aged. 

I am, in fact, more than double the drinking age.  Wait, can that possibly be right?  But so it is.  I suppose I hold on to a little bit of hope that someone will card me again.  At the liquor store, which has more strict requirements, I have my wallet ready for them to ask, but they don't even give my license in the clear plastic compartment more than a cursory glance.

Old...it was bound to happen eventually.

The Big Boy Update:  I got out some different train tracks for my son yesterday.  These are tracks he loves but his interest waned in them several months ago, so we put them away and now they're "new" again.  He was so thrilled to be playing with them, but he needed help to put the tracks together.  He came and asked me not once, but twice, "would you like to join me mommy and help with my work?"  This is phrasing they learn at school when they would like to work together (because it's fine to work alone on some things).  Who wouldn't want to play trains with such a polite request?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter likes her jackets.  After school when she comes into the house, she will take her jacket off, open the drawer it goes in (which is at ground level so she can reach it,) put her jacket in and then close the drawer back.  Sometimes, if she's in a jacket selection mood, she'll pull all the jackets out onto the floor.  She might try on the gloves and hats and she might even walk around with a hat over her eyes for some time, bumping into things and leaning her head way back so she can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment