Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Charles Dickens Christmass

Today we had a family event. My parents drove to town yesterday so they could join us this morning to drive to my in-laws for an afternoon and evening dinner at their country club. The club was having a special evening in the theme of Charles Dickens and there were things specifically for children. It sounded like a nice way to spend the day. 

We left town in time to arrive at my in-laws by lunch and the. We spent the afternoon doing things together and before dinner time, we got dressed in out nice clothes to go to the dinner event. My children had new outfits my mother-in-law had gotten them. They looked great. They didn't need coats because the temperature was seventy degrees, which is very strange for this time of year.  

I had a shirt I'd had for over a year that I loved but had had trouble wearing it as there was a problem with the lining hanging down below the outer layer. I showed my mother-in-law and she said she could fix it before dinner. I felt bad because I didn't expect her to spend the rest of the afternoon on my shirt repairs. I say down with my iPad and i swear, not seven minutes later, she was back upstairs with my shirt fixed. I conferred with my husband on that time because it was so fast. But she had done it and the shirt was fixed that fast. 

We arrived at dinner and the children ate from the children's buffet. They ran out of paitebce early and we too turns walking around with them. My son visited with Santa but my daughter wasn't that interested. A short while later I noticed an area marked, "Santa's Workshop" and my daughter and investigated. There were people there helping children make ornaments and fill out a wish list to Santa. My son showed up shortly with daddy and made an ornament and list as well.

Next we went outside to the fire pits, roasted marshmallows and had hot chocolate and hope apple cider while we waited for our turn for a carriage ride. The carriage ride was very exciting to the children, but the best was my son when he fed the horse a carrot afterwards. 

As I write this, we're in the car heading home and the children are falling asleep. It was a nice day with four grandparents during the holidays. 

The Big Boy Update:  We went on a boat ride today on the lake my in-laws live on. My son always likes riding in their pontoon boat. Today, he got to drive. We survived, thanks to Papa. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  After my daughter made her ornament today at the Christmas dinner, she was helped by a nice lady in creating her wish list for Santa. Most of her items were things like, "that one" or "candy" because she didn't really understand.  When she was done the lady told her she could I've Santa her list and suddenly, my daughter got it.  She turned and walked out of the room, went down the stairs and walked straight up to Santa at the other end of the entrance hall.  He put her in his lap and read her list back to her.  When she was done, she got off his lap, walked over to the large tree and hung her ornament on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment