Monday, December 9, 2013

Dropping Pants

This isn't about the children and their pants, although there is a lot I could tell you on that front.  I could tell you about messy pants, dirty pants, pants that are far too big and some that are much too small.  This post, however, is about my pants.

And no, it's not about me dropping my pants at an inappropriate time, although I'm sure I've done that before at some point in my life.  It's about waistlines and how they've changed over the years. 

I've had a lot of dress pants over the years.  I was a business traveler and a corporate instructor and I needed to have a good collection of business attire for the work I did.  When I found a pair of pants I liked that both looked good and fit well, I commonly went back and purchased several more of that exact same pant.  I might get the pair in different colors or if the color was good--say like black--I'd just get several of the same color.

I haven't been in the business world for several years, but I do have an opportunity to dress up from time to time.  There was no reason to get rid of my perfectly good business attire pants, but most of them sat in the closet, doing not much. 

Then yesterday, I needed to wear pants and I had a specific criteria for which pants I'd wear.  We were going to a fondue restaurant and while I love their food, anything you wear must be cleaned afterwards because the steam from the fondue pot gets infused into your attire.  Months later, it will still smell like the meal you had.

So, I picked something I didn't like that much to wear.  And that's when a strange pants thing happened.  These slacks were fine, they still fit me, but the waist line was crazy high.  It was far over my navel, up into the most narrow portion of your trunk.  It was strange.  It felt strange to sit down and it felt strange standing up.

Funny that, because I always liked those pants.  What's happened is the waistlines have gotten lower and lower over the past few years and those pants are old.  The pants I wear now (and I'm not one to wear crazy fashions) have the waist line right around the top of my hip bone or possibly even lower. When I first started wearing them, they felt strange.  Now, that's the norm.

I wonder if the high-waist style will come back into popularity before I get rid of my old pants.

The Big Boy Update: 
We've been spelling things more and more.  My son asked me yesterday, "what's a P O T T Y?" 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Backwards and inside out: that's how her pants came home from school today on her body.  She must have put them on herself.  We took her to lunch at a restaurant like that and people thought it was cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment