Friday, December 6, 2013

The Lollipop Tree

The year we moved into our new house, which was right when my son was born and was also just before Christmas, my father gave us a lollipop tree.  

He found the components of these lollipop trees at an estate sale or yard sale.  They were wood and he had an idea he could finish them and they would be a fun addition to a house with children or even with adults who liked lollipops.

For the first two years we put it out and not many lollipops were eaten because the children were too small.  This year, my children know exactly what lollipops are and they love them.  This has been reinforced by my neighbors who love to share lollipops with my children when they come to visit. 

So today, my children helped me set up the lollipop tree.  There are little holes in each of the wooden arms of the tree that you insert suckers into.  We had plenty of leftover suckers from Halloween so I put them on the counter, explained they were helping set up the tree and if they ate their dinner, they could have one for dessert.  They were excited. 

My son did a good job of putting suckers into the holes.  My daughter wanted to make sure each lollipop was tightly wrapped in its wrapper, something that she felt was best tested by trying to unwrap each one before sticking it on the tree.

The only challenge now is keeping my children from grabbing and eating the suckers whenever they want to.  They can get to high places by pushing or bringing a chair to the location.  So we're working on self-control and boundaries.  We'll see how it goes.

The Big Boy Update:  My son sometimes needs to eat and until he does, he can be a ball of emotion.  This morning when he came down for breakfast he said, "don't look at me mommy."  So I looked away.  Shortly after that he needed to go to the potty and I told him he could go and come back to finish his meal.  He didn't want his sister to touch his food or drink so he told me, "save this work mommy, in the saving spot."  The saving spot was on the counter, away from her reach.  So I saved his meal and he went and then he came back and got enough calories in his system and he was a happy kid again.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She pooped on the potty.  Key word here being, "on".  In the morning before daddy got up to the room apparently she needed to go.  She got her pants and diaper off and got on the potty and then pooped.  Only the lid was down.  I hear it wasn't as much of a mess as it sounds.

Fitness Update:  We got one break today for water.  Usually we do something and then get water or wait for instructions on the next set or circuit.  Today was all about pushing us.  I didn't do as well as my friends, or so it seemed to me.  I suppose that means I have room to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment