Friday, February 3, 2023

Precision In Time

I've been obsessed with watching restorations and "servicing" of timepieces, mostly watches.  I've never known how watches worked or what it meant when a watch was self-winding or how watches worked.  What did it mean to be a seven jewel watch?  So many things that now that I've learned more about the subject, it's only more fascinating. 

The jewels, artificial rubies that have an amazing precision that are also very, very tiny have been in watches for a long time.  How were they made to that level of precision?   I found a video from WWII era from a large watch maker showing the process they went through to make the jewels.  It is long, it is protracted, there are so many specialized machines involved.   And a key ingredient used throughout the process was olive oil.  

Fascinating.   Here's the video if you're interested:  https://youtu.be/YF-Rf1Cxx94

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter beat me in Battleship tonight.  She is good at the game, especially considering she has to map out everything by feel and memorize where things are on the board. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son needs more chess board pieces.  Could I please make more?   He's asking for something 3D printed, yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment