Thursday, December 24, 2020

We Have That Too

I was doing some shopping on Christmas Eve for the children's stockings, fearing I had exhausted a lot of my content in their daily advent calendar that's one of the best parts of Christmas to my daughter.  I was going to go to Target or one of several other stores but I decided instead to go to the drug store by the Starbucks drive-through I frequent. 

I got a cart and went up and down the aisles, putting in chocolate, odd candy things and little Christmas toys that would fill up their stockings and a thought came to mind from years ago about my Uncle Jim.   He was a pharmacist and worked in a drug store that had additional things for sale, not unlike most drug stores in the U.S. today.   

There were numerous stories about my mother or aunt finding things and being excited about them, the one that comes to the forefront of my mind is the "Fuzz Buster" or some such name, that was a little spinning blade behind a metal grate.  You drove it around over your sweaters and it pulled the pills off it that had built up over time with wear. 

My mother and aunt were talking about what a great thing it was and how they'd found it somewhere (I don't remember the details, only that they were happy they'd found one).   My uncle came in, looked at it, and said, "I don't know what you ladies are so excited about, we've been selling that at my store for a while now."

Exact words said and specifics of the situation aren't completely clear, but that was in general what happened.   Today I was reminded of my Uncle Jim and his store that carried "darned near everything" because they had everything I needed and more to finish my holiday shopping.   

The Big Boy Update:  The power supply on my son's computer is broken.   Thankfully he's not getting any computer games for Christmas.   His father found a power supply he could get locally and picked one up today.   My son, who didn't want a computer, he said, had to go an entire day off it—something that was very foreign to him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to go to sleep early today.  Very early, so that she could get up for Christmas.   She knows that Chrismas won't start until nine-thirty and no one is allowed to go to the basement where the tree is until we all go down together.   She's excited about her stocking though.   When I went in to check on her after our call with our cousins, she was upset because she wasn't falling to sleep and she wanted Christmas to hurry up and get here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment