Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Sweeping the Stairs

My parents are home tonight.   It's been since March since they were here at their house in the town where I grew up.   They still live at the house I was raised in when they aren't at their retirement home in the mountains.   The children, my husband, and I waited for them to arrive today, each of us anticipating their arrival in a different way. 

While we waited for them to finish the last miles of their trip, my daughter and I got things ready inside the house while my husband and son finished up some things outside in their driveway.   We made the bed, using linens we had washed just the day before at our house so we could do the loads without being at their house for a number of hours. 

After making their bed, I showed my daughter some of the updates we'd done, including new carpet runners heading down to the basement on the stairs.  She and I turned all the lights on and lifted the blinds so it would feel light and welcoming instead of closed up and dark.   And then my husband arrived with some food for a snack, which my daughter enjoyed eating at the pull-out seat in the kitchen that I had eaten at when I was a child. 

I went out front with a broom to sweep the leaves off the porch, stairs, and walkway.   There was a good covering and in the cold, wet weather, it was a bit slippery.    As I swept the stairs off, a sudden memory flooded me.   I remembered sweeping these same steps as a child.   I knew just when to pull the leaves down to the next step and when to brush them off the sides.   I knew the same with the walkway.   I was on autopilot from decades ago, when I was a child who wanted to help my mother get ready for guests. 

My parents arrived and we spent a bit of time saying hello and showing them the changes we'd made in their absence due to some mechanical issues they'd had.   We had made sure their internet and television was working and that everything was in order for their visit since they'd been away for such a long stretch. 

Then we went home, dinner plans canceled due to a later arrival than we had all thought might be possible the day before.   Tomorrow we start the holidays in earnest.   It's going to be a fun time having my parents here for Christmas. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son greeted my parents and was a gentleman, much taller than the last time they'd seen him, they exclaimed.   He showed off his tree climbing skills when we all went outside.   He's back home, playing video games now, relaxing for the holidays.   I'm going to relax once I get this post completed myself. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter cut her hair off.  Loads of it.   Far, far more than I wanted her to.   But she's happy about it and I have to agree, it looks cute on her.   This was the first cut, but only represents about half of what was cut off:



No comments:

Post a Comment