Saturday, December 12, 2020

Ten

My son is now ten.   It is hard to believe close to elven years ago I got pregnant and right after he was born got pregnant with my daughter.   Now I have a child who's a full decade old.  Time is a blur, although I can barely remember what it was like not to be a mother.   I do like having children and all the entrappings of parenthood.   Even if it can sometimes be maddening with all the testing children put you through. 

My son had an uneventful day with school followed by his requested dinner of P.F. Chang's.   His grandparents drove over for the ice cream cake he'd asked for and then he opened two presents: one from his grandparents and one from us.   We're letting him open one or two presents each day, so he can appreciate them more instead of the standard paper tearing off and then running off to play with the one that's the highest value at the time. 

Today, we let him play the Zelda game he'd asked us for.   He played it for many hours before we kicked him out and said he should play with Rayan, who had knocked on the door earlier.   He balked but once he was outside, with some music of his choice blaring on the speakers in the back yard, he had a lot of fun.  

He's grown so much and I'm nothing short of proud to be his mother.

The Big Boy Update:  My son's wish. when he blew out his candle, was to have his father download mods to games whenever he wanted them.   My husband said he might need to be prepared for that wish not to come true any and every time he desired a mod.   My son went with the, "but I have money for them saved up."  I'm sure he'll get some mods to games, Nana and Papa gave him a little "mad money" for discretionary spending, but my son's appetite for mods is great, and his time allotted to playing games is a limiting factor. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has decorated her tree in the front yard with all the large balls I got last year.   Save for two, which I found shattered into at least fifty pieces on the front driveway.  She was cross when I told her she had to get shoes on and help clean up the pieces.   She said I didn't want them to have fun.   She explained that the two in question were broken at the bottom of the bag when she pulled them out and that it had been fun, smashing them about on the concrete.   I told her it was okay and that I was all about fun, but that messes had to be cleaned up by the people who made them.   I helped her clean up the pieces while she told me all the fun they'd had smashing them to bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment