Monday, December 28, 2020

That Makes Sense

My daughter doesn't want to learn things from me.   I think she gets this from me as I am fairly certain I was nothing but an insufferable know it all with my mother when I was a child.   If I get an inkling my daughter wants to learn about something or if she directly tells me she's interested, I'll try to explain, to teach her, and to do so in the most approachable, informative way possible while keeping her preferences in learning styles in mind. 

Invariably, and I really want to say "always" here but it can't be always.   It does feel like it's every single time though.   If I try to tell her about it she interrupts and tells me what she knows (which is a lot of times a complete guess.) If it's something physical I need to show her, she won't let my hands show her.   She won't stop grabbing and does the thing, whatever it might be such as untangling the string of lights.  I can't give her any advice because while she says she's interested, she's not interested in learning about it from me. 

We were talking about the "Doe a Deer" song from The Sound of Music tonight while we were folding laundry.   She wanted to learn the song, but when I tried to sing, every time she jumped in and just sang words and a tune that she was making up that didn't get close to the song.  She was guessing in a major was and wasn't going to let me explain without me getting firm with her. 

So I gave up and a few minutes later when she wasn't paying attention, I asked Alexa to play the original Julie Andrews version.   I didn't say anything while my daughter quietly listened to the whole song.   She wanted it played again, this time talking aloud to herself, saying things like, "that makes sense" and "because a doe is a deer" and other comments.   By the end of the song, she was singing along. 

I couldn't get her interested because of me.   Julie Andrews never fails though. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son did one of those fits again tonight when I said we had to fold laundry (meaning they have to fold their laundry).   He said I was ruining his day.   I told him he'd had a sufficiently leisurely day while other people worked hard and he'd better rethink his attitude or I was going Military Mom.   He folded his laundry without another complaint. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter might like The Sound of Music movie and they probably have descriptive audio.   She isn't interested though because she says movies are mostly for seeing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment