Saturday, May 23, 2020

The Top Ten Days

I was talking to a friend about children the other day.   We both had children, each with them at different ages.   Somehow we started. talking about "the most" days as parents.   And by "the most" what I mean is the most fun, the most life-changing, the most happy, even the most sad.   If you could pick out ten days each of your children that were the most important (by any of those categories) could you easily do it?

It's easy to say the day they're born, the first day your child walks or says your name, maybe the first day of school or first birthday.  When they got Chicken Pox, Christmas where they went nuts over the presents when they came downstairs.   These are ideas, but honestly, I'm just throwing those days out because they seem like they should be big days in the life of a child.   I don't think the day either of my children walked was overly amazing.   They barely took a step.   The next day they took two steps and then they were off and running a short while later.

The question we wanted to know the answer to was what do you think are the ten most impactful days in the life of your child?  What we came up with was we couldn't say for certain—because we just didn't remember all the days.   I'm certain some of my daughter's days would be vision-related.   But which ones?  

I think I could do it in the case of my daughter.   I could do it because starting at the age of one month I've written something about her every day.   It's a theoretical way this long and windy blog could someday be of use to me.   For now though, it's nice to know I could go back through it all.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Facetime Swing Swapping Teamwork:  The four people and one dog in our family were all outside with Aunt A on Facetime having an afternoon chat today.   The children wanted to change out the swings and Aunt A watched them climb on the top of the A-frames and start to drop various swings down from the hooks.   My daughter said, "I'm almost as high as a bee would fly."  At one point I told the children we needed to consult with Aunt A on strategy because the swing they were trying to unhook was very heavy.   Strategies were discussed, complaints along the lines of, "I want to do it first" coupled with, "I didn't get a turn" were.  Finally, my husband came in and took the swing down easily.   My son walked off, not in the least upset, saying, "I was helping with encouragement."


No comments:

Post a Comment