Monday, May 18, 2020

Advisory Panel

Recently I spoke with the president of Hadley, the company I've been taking my braille courses from for the past several years.   They're having a big upswing in people signing up for their courses and discussion groups.   COVID-19 is an isolating thing and for many visually impaired people, they are stuck at home and all alone.

I was invited to join the Advisory Panel to provide feedback on the upcoming offerings and website updates they're rolling out.  I was honored to be asked and I'm pleased to be able to give back to a company that has enabled me to communicate with my daughter via braille.

Her work at home, during COVID-19 has been made possible in large part by my ability to read and work with braille.   I'm not sure what being on the Advisory Panel will entail, but I'm very glad to be a part of the work they're doing at Hadley.

When something has touched your life in the way Hadley has done with mine, it's a good feeling to be a part of what they're doing.   Hadley has been around for one hundred years and has provided education for the visually impaired, family members and friends, free of charge since the beginning.   They have reached over 172,000 learners in fifty states and sixty--five countries in their one hundred years.

It is a privilege to be part of something so impactful to the blind community.   I'm looking forward to giving my time back to Hadley.

The Big Boy Update:  My son's teacher isn't much into video games.   I heard her ask this morning what my son had been doing and I heard him trying to explain what he'd been doing over the weekend in the games he's been playing.   She listened and commended kindly, even though I know screen time, especially spent on video games, is not her preferred way for children to spend their free time.   My husband and I met through video games and as such, I think video games will always be a part of our family.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter worked on a stained glass window (made with tactile stickers) to send to Mrs. Aagaard today.  I can't wait to see what she thinks of it when it arrives by mail.   Mrs. Aagaard has been sending my daughter things to put on her wall that are tactile while we've been at home during COVID-19.  We are so fortunate to have Mrs. Aagaard as a friend, even after she retired from being a teacher two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment