Monday, May 4, 2020

Summer School

When I think of summer school I think of remedial work to catch up or redo something that wasn't completed in the course of the main school year.   I have a rather negative connotation of summer school and yet I spent a good bit of time in summer school during my college years.   I took a calculus course the summer before college started so I could be ahead for my freshman year.   I took classes in the summer at Auburn University because I could add those in without interfering with the main school year at the college I was enrolled in.   I didn't once take summer school classes for a negative reason, and yet it still seems like a negative thing.

We have schools in this state that are on the year-round system.  My daughter is in school all but one month in the summer.   This year things might be different though.   Her "track" and all year-round tracks have been put back on traditional calendar schedule for now.  It won't work that way for the start of the next school year.   There are four tracks and only enough room for three tracks to be housed in the school buildings at one time.  We'll find out what the plan is soon enough though.

I'm worried though.  Summer camps are canceled.  The pool has an unknown opening date and our yearly visit north to my brother- and sister-in-law's house for a week may not happen—all dependant on when COVID-19 modeling predicts it's safe for us to reemerge into society again.   Right now we have a little more than a month of school to go before summer break begins.  

What am I going to do with two children for two-plus months at home?  Summer school.   Or at least a bit of work to do each day to keep the children engaged.  I asked my daughter's VI teacher today if she would be up for sending us some bonus work for the summer.     She said she could.  

School is work here, but it's keeping everyone busy.   No one is complaining about being bored, and that's saying a lot considering.

The Big Boy Update:  I don't know what my son did, but he wrote my daughter this note and then asked if I could make a copy of it that could be printed so she could read it.  He took the printed copy to her and she was touched when she read it, asking how he had gotten it in braille.



The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to spend the night camped out on the trampoline last night.   It was very warm and no prediction of rain or cold weather.   She was out there, zipped inside the trampoline walls, until 4:16 (she knew the exact time) when she heard something.   She played with a little toy that lights up and makes noises she got from Aunt Kelly and family a while back. She thought she might have felt a raindrop at that point so she decided to come in.   She didn't need her brother out there with her, she was fine camping out all by herself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment