Sunday, May 24, 2020

One Under Par

Today was similar to a lot of weekend days we've had during the COVID-19 shelter at home time.   The children were running around, playing games, making a mess, and having fun, interspersed with eating breakfast, asking for lunch, finding their own snacks, and listening to the latest audiobook.

I was where I usually prefer to be: in the bedroom, lying in the bed on my side, watching things on my iPad—this being the most comfortable position for my back.  My husband, once up, usually goes to the basement and is either working on work things or playing Fortnite or other popular games with the online friends he has from around the world.

Around about lunchtime I got up, got dressed, and planned to go out to get a prescription, some new bone-type treats for the dog to engage her need to chew and some desserts for the freezer for the children.   I got them lunch and then told them my plans to head out, listing where I'd be going, and asking what particular items they wanted for dessert

I left the house and took the dog to the pet store near our house.  I worked on her fear by having her placed at the entrance to the store while I selected some items and then headed off to the store.   At this point I messaged my husband to tell him where I'd gone, since I hadn't told him before leaving the house.

Just before getting to the store a few miles away, he messaged me back, "I've finished up and am getting lunch."

Oh hell.  He was playing golf this morning.   It was on the calendar, but I hadn't checked because he, like the rest of us, hasn't been going anywhere recently.   I called both sitters next door and their mother, getting no answer from any of them.   The children were probably fine, and they can and do stay alone for a few minutes from time to time while we overlap in our trips places, but it had been forty-five minutes and no one had realized they were home alone.

I called my husband, telling him I was on the way back.   He wasn't particularly upset, he knew they'd be fine he said, but it would have been useful, we both agreed, to have one of our sitters over.   At this point, the phone rang and I took the call from Blake next door, only to find out he was already with my daughter outside, jumping on the trampoline with her.  

Relief.   Along with a feeling of stupidity.

I called my husband back and said we were covered.   He was so good about it.   He said he was going to the store since I was heading home and that he'd had a good round, shooting one-under-par.   I was under par myself for the day, only in this case in parenting decisions.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Game Playing Update:  The children play very well together.  I think from a social maturity standpoint, being at home and playing with her brother a lot has helped her understand social dynamics of play somewhat.   Her brother is an excellent playmate.   He never acts like their games are less than interesting to him just because she can't see.   I'm not sure if he even realizes it, because it's always what he's done as far as he can remember.   He does, however, take advantage of her lack of sight sometimes.   Today while she was preparing for a game, he was on his iPad, playing and letting her get everything organized until she told him she needed him and counted downtime before he had to come up.   He can work the system with her, but since she doesn't seem to realize it, we don't say anything.   She's happily getting things done in preparation for a game while he's being unhelpful.  It's helping her be self-sufficient in a way, something that's an important skill for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment