Wednesday, May 27, 2020

COVID-19 Reunion

My in-laws decided to come home from wintering over in Florida, arriving in town late last night.  They typically come home at the beginning of May but stayed later this year because of the pandemic.   They wanted to come home and also wanted to see us.   We, of course, all wanted to see them, but we also want to keep them safe.

Today, after school was out, came over wearing masks to see us and deliver those things Grandparents are always aloud to bring: presents.  They had things for each of us as well as items they'd been keeping from the two Disney trips my husband made, one with each child, that was too large to fly home with.

In the typical fashion of my Mother-in-law, my son had a drink cup from Disney that had some beverage in it.  She had kept both the cup and the drink and had brought both home in a cooler for him.  She brought things for my daughter from Disney and then some fireworks for both of them they had picked up on the way home.

My son got a cap gun that we told him had to be used outside lest he frighten the dog and my daughter got those little pops things you throw on the ground that make a snapping sound.  She brought me a poncho she hand-made and my husband lots of overages for the pantry as well as some beef jerky they know he likes.

They also brought me some ornaments I made for their large house plants I made in 2008 that she put up during Christmas.   They haven't been in Florida for Christmas in a long time so she brought them home for me to show the children.   We'll keep a few for their tree and they'll put the balance on theirs for the holidays.

My daughter went through two boxes of snaps on the porch and my son showed them all about the video game he's playing.  I got to show them the embosser we've had during the time we've been at home that prints braille.  This is the machine that has given my daughter's teachers the ability to send us materials that we can then print so my daughter can feel and read them.   I got to show them the translation software that's equally important in the process of getting printed braille to my daughter.  They were as excited about it as I've been.   It's cool stuff.

They headed out before we had dinner because they had a lot unpacking to do.  We're looking forward to safely seeing them more in the coming weeks.   We've decided to continue our isolation to the level we've been doing up until now so that we can try and do our best to keep them safe.

The Big Boy Update:  We had a hard drive crash on the RAID 10 network server my husband has for our files.   There are four hard drives that have a single set of data spread across them in such a way that a drive can fail with no loss of data.   You can remove a damaged drive, replace it with a new one, and ask the operating system to do a repair.   We had a dead drive though and my husband had an idea.   He and my son took the drive completely apart.   They looked at the platers and drive heads as well as all the housing and connectors.   My son really enjoyed it and asked a lot of questions.  The drive is in a bag for future educational opportunities and will likely live in the attic until we need it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was so excited about her grandparents coming to town today.   She called my mother and sang a song to her she made up while she was on the swing.   My mother sent me some of the words she sang:
I am so excited, I am so excited, I am so excited.
My Grandparents are home and they are coming to see me after school.
This will be a good day.
I'm so happy.
I can't wait to see them.
My Grandparents are coming.
Here I am.
Here I stand.
Here I wait to see my Grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment