Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Something Bigger At Play

My daughter got mad at her braillest today for what, I think, should be small things.  One was that she didn't know in advance that her anniversary was coming up so she could make her something.  That, and she couldn't get her mic to unmute on the Google Meet call to wish her Happy Anniversary along with her fellow VI students.

She's very easily upset by things and I am busily imparting consequences.   It seems clear she wants to control things in her life because she's feeling out of control.  Maybe I need to turn things around and instead of taking things away, give her more control.   I can do that, but I can't let her be outright rude to teachers, family, and friends in the process.

I'm going to have a think on this and report back with what we do and how it goes over.  There's something bigger at play here that's affecting her.   She's hurting somehow and needs love in addition to discipline right now.  Maybe I need to focus more on the love and less on the discipline and see how it goes.

The Big Boy Update:  My so ran upstairs this morning and shyly handed me two folded pieces of paper and said, "you're not the only one who does origami in the family, mom."  He did a very accurate job of the origami models.  I was proud of him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I got upset today over some videos my daughter was suppose to watch for school.  I just couldn't figure out how to play them.  The amount of connectivity, links, sites you have to authenticate to first before the links will work, videos she has to listen to, emails with instructions that get lost in the stack of my inbox and assignments coming from six different teachers (class teacher, VI teacher, braillest, Orientation and Mobility instructor, Adaptive PE teacher, and music therapist/piano teacher) is complicated to keep organized.   My daughter came over, hugged me and gave me the softest of kisses and told me it wasn't my fault, it was hers.   It was definitely not her fault, I told her, it was my responsibility as her mother to make sure I got it all working and to her on time.   I m going to try and do for her what she did for me today, it definitely made me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment