Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Caught Up

I was behind on so many things for so long.   I'd get caught up on one thing and then get behind on another.   Once we started schooling at home I lost a lot of time working with my daughter.   I really thought I was going to get massively behind at first.   But then something happened.

The amount of "stuff" that would come my way, that needed doing, dropped off.   There was less happening in the world and less got to me that needed attention.   I was busier than ever at home, but I wasn't getting behind like I thought I'd be.

There are several things that make me very happy when they're empty: my inbox, my paperwork, and the several locations in the house I stack things that need to be taken care of in some physical way or another.  

My email inbox never got out of control.   The reduction in email noise has been so nice.  I've still got a stack of things I need to take care of, but it's not insurmountable.   The house goes in and out of messy and clean, depending on where things are with school work and projects related to the children, but it's manageable as well.

I have been taking braille courses for several years now.   I need to do one class section at a minimum per month.   Because of COVID-19 I got a stay and have been meaning to get back to class for a while.   I checked last week and the last time I turned in an assignment was in January.   By now I've done so much more braille reading because my daughter is working from home.   I figured I could fly through the materials for my class.

It was far easier than the prior lessons had been.   I got a 96% on the final, which isn't a bad grade given all the mistakes you can make with the rules of UEB Contracted Braille.   I was happy with the grade.

I got a break in things yesterday and decided to look ahead to the next unit and see how intensive it was going to be.   Today, I turned in the next assignment.   I was able to move through the material more quickly because some of the contractions were mathematical symbols like addition, subtraction, percentage, equals, feet, and inches.  Knowing those made the lesson go quickly.

Today, I've turned in my next lesson in record time.   Now, if I need to correspond with anyone in braille about how much something costs in yen, euros or pounds, I can do so with ease.

It's nice being caught up with a lot of things in life.   I like the feeling of having accomplished something, even if tomorrow more emails will come in and the work will just reappear and multiply.   For today, I'm on top of things at least.

The Who Gets Dressed Update:  Recently, my son has decided he wants to get dressed in the morning.   For a long time, he was happy to spend the entire day in pajamas.  He's decided his sister should also get dressed for school though, something she has no interest in doing.   While we're here at home, I could easily put all her other clothes in storage and let her live out of one drawer of Pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment