Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Butt Quarters

This is a strange post.   You can tell by the title, right?  It's something my best friend from childhood messaged me about two days ago that got us both a big chuckle.

Have you heard of, or do you remember the drinking game called "Quarters?"  It's fairly simple, as most drinking games are by necessity.   It has to be simple enough to do when you're drunk.  In the traditional game, or in the version we played (I'm sure there are numerous variations) you bounce a quarter on a table and try to get it to land in a shot glass or other cup.   If you make it, you get to pick who takes a drink from their glass, if you miss, you have to take a drink.

My best friend and I were living together in the first location I ever lived alone—a small townhouse I'd later buy and live in for many years.   I'm not sure who's idea it was, but we decided to put the cup on the floor and the quarter between our butt cheeks (pants on, of course).  You then had to waddle across the floor, making sure not to drop the quarter in the process, until you were standing over the cup.   You'd then let go and hope the quarter landed in the cup.

The same drinking rules applied once the quarter was dropped.   Nothing like a little physical humiliation added to a drinking game, eh?  I don't know if we heard about the game or made it up, but she messaged me the other day telling me she heard it mentioned by someone online and it brought back memories from over half our lives ago.  

Good times.

The Big Boy Update:  My son knows I've been stressed out over the workload my daughter has.   It's more the complexity of completing the workload and the number of online meetings she's attending that are making her day a busy one and me frustrated as I try to ensure we're getting everything done on time.   He told me I was doing a good job and I should know I was a really good mom.   He is my sweet boy.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Chelsea, our music therapist, and I worked for several hours today to create a single sheet that would introduce braille music symbols.   We were pretty proud of ourselves and we thought my daughter would be excited.   She was anything but.   She shut down and refused to do anything.   The problem was that the braille dots that represent certain length and key notes are also braille letters or contractions.   She was unable to disassociate the two so she could see the braille cells as music information instead of letter information.   We're going to have to back up and start more simply to get her engaged.   She wants to learn, but today was just too much at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment