Thursday, January 15, 2015

They Just Stopped Trying

My children had a child lock on their bedroom door for a long time.   We could keep them in and safe so they didn't wander around the house in the middle of the night when they were only marginally skilled at walking down stairs.   Eventually they figured out out to defeat the door locks by unhinging them.   I added duct tape.   Then they figured out how to open them with a quick twist and pressure action.   So I took them off.

They were old enough at that point to not really need to be locked in anymore.    There were other areas that I didn't want them wandering around in, including the back closet with toy storage, the second storage/craft/ area and the attic.  I kept the door knob locks on those doors.

For some reason, they've never tried to defeat those door locks.   It's the same mechanism (a plastic ball over the knob that requires pressure on two specific spots to open the door.)   They could do it if they really wanted to.   I wonder when they'll figure out they can?

The Big Boy Update:  First trip to the bathroom alone.   For the first time, my son went to the bathroom all by himself at a restaurant by himself.   My mother and I took the children to Sushi Thai for dinner and when they needed to go to the bathroom, I walked them both there.  My son protested and said, "I don't need to go to the ladies room.  I can go to the mens room all by myself."   He was right, he did.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We've bought a piece of rental property.  Our good friend, Uncle Jonathan is going to rent it from us.  He hasn't moved in yet, but we've been over several times to get things done prior to the first of the month.   We drove up in the dark tonight to see if something had been delivered and my daughter said from the back seat, "it's Uncle Jon's house!"

Fitness Update:  I went to the gym for the first time this week.   Our trainer went from wearing only black and gray to suddenly wearing all sorts of colorful shirts.   My friend's husband had named him, "fifty shades of grey" a while back.   Today I told him his new nickname was, "box of chocolates" because you never knew what color you were going to get when you walked in the door.   Let me tell you, when your trainer wears black and grey every day for two years and then suddenly starts going color-crazy, walking in the door to check out the new shirt color is one of the best parts of the workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment