Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Everything Is *Not* Awesome

We were having a "family dinner" tonight.   That's when we all sit down together and try to stay seated, at least for a little while and enjoy dinner together.  During this time we try to keep our feet off the table (my daughter), not curl up in a ball on the chair (my son) and not yell for no apparent reason because saying, "mommy, mommy, mommy. mommy, Mommy, MOMMY" isn't getting an immediate response as mommy is currently speaking to someone else.

Let us not forget to mention not whining because you don't want to eat whatever food or food item is in front of you.   Or the complaining because something tastes, "yucky" even though you've never had it and you haven't tasted a single bite yet.  Oh, and staying in the chairs.   That seems to be a monumental effort.  My son likes to curl up into the fetal position on his chair for unknown reasons during meals.

Tonight specifically, my son was not having any of the pot roast my husband made.   This pot roast they've had before and loved.  My daughter didn't really want it either, but once she tried it she was fine with it.  A long and protracted discussion with my son ensued about how much he had to eat (all of it) to have dessert.   He wanted to negotiate the number of bites.    Let me explain, no, there is too much.  Let me summarize: he lost his food and his option for any other food for the rest of the day.

My husband and I had had it.   We are both supportive of the other one, but I think we were equally frustrated at him at that point.  My son was losing it and starting to have a screaming tantrum (something new, the screams haven't happened before) because he saw the food being put into the sink.

Right at that point my daughter, who was calmly sitting at the table still eating, started singing, "everything is awesome!" from the Lego movie.

My husband and I both couldn't help but laugh.   Everything was most definitely not awesome at that point, but her song did lighten the mood.    My son needed to stand outside for a minute or two in the thirty-three degree weather because he was still screaming and we told him we would be glad for him to scream outside for as long as he liked.    He didn't like it for very long.

The Big Boy Update:  We were driving to lunch and had stopped at a stop light.   My son said from the back seat, "I see a porcupine and a dog up there."   My mother and I were confused for a minute until he said, "with that lady" and then we realized there was a lady walking a large dog and another small, brown dog that apparently looked like a porcupine to my son.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   In the car before leaving for school this morning my son was scratching his leg.   He said, "my leg is bleeding."  (It wasn't really.)   My daughter said, "I want to see it."  My son replied, "you can't.  It will fill up the car with blood."  My daughter, wearing her new cat mittens from Uncles Bob and Brian said, "I can catch it.  I have special gloves."

No comments:

Post a Comment