Friday, January 30, 2015

Cram It All In

I'm sitting at my computer trying to type quickly.   I'm doing so because my fingers are cold.   I don't know why, but my fingers are always cold in the winter.   My neighbor runs with her hands in her sweat shirt, Uncle Jonathan doesn't run with any gloves and I run with one pair of gloves inside a pair of ski mittens.    But that has absolutely nothing to do with my starting point which was I'm trying to cram a lot of things in before dinner and before our movie night guests get here and interrupt any chance I have of writing this blog post with chatter, questions and banter in my general direction.    Nothing like interruptions to cramp the style of a writer.

Oh, and I wanted to write a lot tonight here.  So I'm cramming in several little things into one post.  Only I've wasted time talking about my fingers being cold.   Now that I think of it, that's how a lot of my blog posts go: me planning on writing one thing and an entire other thing ends up on the screen when I'm done.    Okay, enough of this.  Seriously this time.  I'm on to topic one...

Finally Shoulder-length
I've been growing my hair out for what seems like an eternity.   It seems long because my hair grows infernally slow.  I've watched it get longer over time and for months and months it's been what I would call, "shoulder-length,"  I'm not really sure what the definition is for that term so I used the broadest possible range of what I thought people would have in their mind when they said, "she has shoulder-length hair."   It could mean almost touching the tops of your shoulders just as your neck ends.   It could also mean the much longer length of where your shoulder turns down and becomes your arm.  That's several inches on my body.  But finally, my hair is what I would now term, "long hair" as it is definitely below my shoulders.   I don't know what other hair-length terms come into play now other than the, "down to her waist" which is a length I won't be making it to.

My Car Just Got Faster
Our car just got faster over night.   I don't know if this has ever happened in the history of car-don...and it's pretty freaking cool.  Elon Musk tweeted today that the, "Tesla P85D 0 to 60mph acceleration will improve by ~0.1 sec soon via over-the-air software update to inverter algorithm."   He further said that the vehicle we have, the P85 will also improve, but not by quite as much.    Last night, we got that software upgrade and this morning, our car had a new inverter algorithm to go just that little bit faster.   Can I say again how much I love my Tesla Model S?

The Four Hour Display Case
You know how some things just hit you as silly?   Legos have done this to me lately.    You get a cool model.   It's got eleven-thousand pieces or something and it takes you four hours to put the thing together.   When you're done you have a stunning (even if blocky) model that looks like a pixelated rendition of the actual object.    What do you think of doing next?   "Where can I show this thing off?"  If it was a particularly expensive model you might think, "I'm getting a display case for this baby."   Why do we do this?   We don't put books that took us twenty-three hours to read into a display case.   We don't frame pictures of our turkey dinners because they were a masterpiece to behold.    And yet we want to put something that someone else designed, a company manufactured and then we followed instructions to put it together onto a pedestal.   And even if we don't show it off, good grief, you can't take it apart because...well I don't know, wouldn't we want to take it apart so we could put it together again and re-enjoy the whole process?  Isn't they why we got the Lego model in the first place?    I'm guilty of all of these thoughts, and I can't adequately explain why.

The Dinner Crown
My dentist (and next-door neighbor) has two crowns on order for me.   Wait, no, four crowns.   two for the left upper for the implants.   I haven't been chewing on the left side for over a year.   Then, he put two temporaries in the right upper and is going to deliver all four on the same day.  There is a problem we didn't expect though:  The back upper-most tooth on the right is very shallow.   The temporary is barely holding on.   Two days after he put it on I was at dinner, eating some very crunchy potatoes and five minutes later realized I'd swallowed (and chewed up) the temporary crown.    He made me a new one, this time of acrylic for strength, and we've been working a fine line of me chewing as much as I can on the left and re-gluing the crown when it comes off.   It needs to stay in place so that the gums don't move inward.    At this point, I have borrowed dentals and temporary glue at home and I know how to cement it back in.   It's just become laughable at this point, but we're getting close to the delivery of the permanents on the 2nd of February.   The permanent glue will solve all the problems.   That cement doesn't come off without breaking the crown and pulling it off in pieces.

The Big Boy Update:  I told my son to try a bite of my escalloped apples at lunch.  I told him he used to love them (he did, he'd eat a whole bowl of the sweet things.)   He told me, "yeah, but when I'm four I don't like them.   When I'm five I'll like them again."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had a wand this morning in the car.   She would wave it and say, "Pocus Pocus, the window rolls down!"   My husband would roll it down from the driver's seat and my daughter thought she had magic powers.   This went on for a while until we told her the wand was, "out of magic powers for now and needed to recharge."



No comments:

Post a Comment