Saturday, January 31, 2015

Looking Up Left

I watched the show, Lie To Me when it was on several years ago.   Through that show I learned a lot about how there is a lot more being conveyed than the words a person is saying if you know how to read the nuances of communication.

On one of the episodes they mentioned that the person was making up a memory instead of recalling a real memory because when we stop to recollect, we look up and to the left.  I don't know if this is true for everyone or for every time, but I think it's true for me a lot of the time.   I was driving in the car the other day, thinking about something and whatever that something was I was trying to remember details about it.   I noticed I was looking slightly up and to the left every time I tried to recall specifics.

Interesting, I thought.   Let me see if I can do the same thing but to the right.   It was mentally uncomfortable, I can tell you that.   I would look up and to the right and try to think of something but I would be distracted by things in my visual frame of view.   I think I'd best mention at this point that I wasn't driving down the road and looking aimlessly off in various directions, collecting data for this blog post and not paying attention to passersby or other vehicles.

It was unproductive.   I couldn't drop out of the visual input from my eyes to engage in memory recall.  It may not be a "tell that someone is lying" but it could be something like crossing your arms with one arm on top or interlacing your fingers with your hands and having the same thumb on top every time.    It might just be that that's how I learned the skill when I was young and now I use it whenever I'm trying to remember the number of cups of cheerios in the cookie recipe I've been making for twenty years.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is working on putting both Legos and Duplo blocks together still.   He's been making some strides in both following instructions and creating his own models.  This is what he came up with today, color pattern and design:



The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted a frozen drink for lunch.   She really liked it and spent a lot of time drinking it in the back seat while we went to the next stop on our schedule.  When we got there, she was shivering in her car seat, trying to tell me she was cold.   I told her cold drinks could do that when you drink a lot of them at once.

Fitness Update:  25.2 miles or 26.4 miles.   I'm not sure if I ran a marathon distance today or not.  I am sure it was very cold when I started and the fountains in the park were still frozen hours later when we stopped in to get water.   Eventually they thawed out and we got some much-needed hydration.   When I got home the distance tracking app I use was at 25.2 but Apple's Health app said 26.4 and both were tracking from the same starting point.   Either way, I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment