Friday, January 23, 2015

Potty Farewell?

Today I put the second of our two toddler-sized potties away.   These potties are the little things that sit on the floor of your bathroom at small-child height so babies and children can sit with ease.  This is where they learn they should be going, "poo and pee" instead of in their diapers.

These little potties are useful and helpful for a long time, even after your small child can climb up onto the adult toilet, squat naked on hands and feet and make monkey noises while making a deposit in the bowl.   (Yes, this happens in our house.)  Potties are helpful for small boys who need practice aiming and they're much easier to balance small bottoms on than the larger, full-sized porcelain versions the rest of the family uses.

But they have to be emptied after each use.  And they need to be cleaned.   Putting the little potty away was mostly a balance of when there would be less mess surrounding (and I literally mean "surrounding") the big toilet as opposed to the little potty.    For instance, my son has decided that standing up to pee is now the only way to go.   For a long time he had no interest and since there wasn't any mess when he say down, I liked his plan.   But now he likes to stand up and he has to lean over and stand on his toes to make sure things go in instead of out of the toilet.    Oh, and sometimes he doesn't make it in time.    If you're thinking floor, be sure to add wall to that list of things to be cleaned with sanitizer after one of those visits.  That is, if he tells you he missed...

At some point we had to make a decision that this was the day to move forward and be toddler-toilet free.    Something told me today was the day.   Something also told me to not put that potty too far away, because I could be wrong and it might need to come out again.  We shall see.

The Big Boy Update:  My son didn't want to get dressed one day over the holidays.   There was an ultimatum delivered on my part and my son reluctantly went upstairs to change.  He came downstairs and looked pleased with himself.   We were glad he got dressed without any additional fuss.   And then we looked closer; he had put his clothes on over his footy pajamas and was planning on putting on shoes over the feet before we caught him.    Clever.  Sneaky.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got her hair cut for the second time today.  It was frazzled and I hoped a small bit off the ends would help.   My hairdresser told me it was largely her fine hair and that the leave-in conditioner I was using on her was the best thing to do.  

Fitness Update:   I went to the gym today and it is obvious I'm falling behind fitness-wise from my two friends I go with.   I don't go with the frequency they do and I don't have the drive or need or maybe I'm soft core and they're hard core, but whatever the cause, I'm not able to keep up.   I'm okay with it though.   I went back to the gym after school drop off and talked to the trainer about it so he understood I would continue to do my best (with my spine-based limitations) but that I understood I would be on a different level than my friends.  He is always a supportive person.   I was glad I went to talk to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment