Tuesday, January 20, 2015

No Restrictions

Today I went to see a surgeon about my neck issues.   Hold on, let me back up and start at the recent beginning of all of this so you have some framework of why I went.

Way back, I had neck problems.  I had two spinal fusions, a neurostimularor implant and subsequent removal when it caused damage to my spinal cord.    It took a long time for me to heal, get better, feel better, get off all the medications and get back to being the person I had once been before all the pain.

I spent a number of years after that having children and getting into shape.   Children will make you do that, the getting into shape thing.  I was woefully out of shape.  I started running and going to the gym and I got muscles and didn't look chunky and flabby.   It was nice.

Then, last January, I started having this niggling problem in my left arm.   I was having nerve tingles (paresthesia) down shoulder and arm.  Later in the year phantom itching was added to the ever more frequent tingling in my left arm.     Oh, and I had lots of nerve pain all over my body that was un-specific in origin.  It made everything feel in some way painful.   It was sort of like what I imagined when people said, "I feel old in my bones."

I didn't want to exercise or do things.  Eventually I gave in and went to my general practitioner.   I had been avoiding any and all medication, but the neuralgia was getting to be too much as it was affecting my life.  The doctor and I agreed on Lyrica for a few months trial.   That was November.   He also called an MRI because the reflex reactions in my left arm were significantly diminished in comparison to the right.

I was concerned about irreversible nerve damage.   I was worried about the pain I was having on a regular basis.  I didn't know what the situation was and it looked like it was getting worse over time.

Two MRI's later and I was scheduled to see one of the top orthopedic neurosurgeons in the area as recommendation by many of the medical professionals in the area that I worked with or knew socially.  The radiology reports sounded grim.    I was, truthfully, scared of what the surgeon would tell me I needed to do (surgery) or not do (ever run again.)

I saw the surgeon this afternoon.  He asked about my history, the fusions, the neurostimulator, my current symptoms, activity level and limitations.  He performed reflex tests and strength tests.  He discussed with me the results of the MRI.  He pointed out the damage in my spinal cord from the neurostimulator implant.    He pointed out the locations of the fusion hardware and said the fusion areas looked good.   He said there was degeneration in the C4-C5 area and showed me a large bone spur and some stenosis.   He told me the strength in both my arms and hands was the same, and that the reduced reflex reaction in the left arm was most likely a result of the spinal cord damage from the neurostimulator and didn't factor into any recent changes.

But here's the interesting thing.   He said that yes, there were problems, but that he wouldn't recommend surgery at all right now.   The left arm isn't in pain and the neuralgia I have is being addressed by the Lyrica.   The degeneration in C4-C5 will take a course, but the final direction isn't yet determined and today, the situation isn't emergent.

I asked what restrictions, if any, I had and he said, "you have no restrictions.   Go run that marathon; In fact, keep exercising."

I left with mixed emotions.  I mean, hell, I'm elated I don't have to have surgery.  I really, didn't want to need surgery.    Spine surgery will take you out of action for a good long while.  I'm also pleased he doesn't think my current situation is causing damage irreversible damage.   But I'm not happy about possibly needing to be on Lyrica for a long time, even if it's well-tolerated and one of the better medication to be on.

So...I'm okay.   Well, my spine's not okay but we all knew that.   But as of today, I'm not in need of imminent surgery.   I'm got degeneration that's progressing, but I don't have to do anything about it right now.   I have nerve pain that's really annoying, but it's controllable with medication and I may be able to get off the medication in a few months.

And I ran twenty-one miles last weekend.   Marathons, here I come.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was at a park with Uncle Jonathan.   He was playing near the lake.   Uncle Jonathan warned him (apparently twenty-seven times) if he went into the water and mud he was going to be gross and sad.    Guess which one of my children ended up gross and sad?

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Come play with me.   My daughter wants people to come play with her of late.  Her brother is engrossed in Legos or some other toy scenario and she wants to do interactive, social-based things with someone.   Today she asked Uncle Jonathan if he would come to the bonus room and play with her.   Uncle Jonathan told her he couldn't now, but he would later.   She fell onto the floor in a heap and cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment