Monday, January 19, 2015

Boy Crafts

I like to do lots of things that I would not categorize as "art."  I like to do things that are more along the lines of crafts.   I am creating something new, such as the jewelry I make.   But I'm buying pre-made parts such as earring chandler and other components, pre-made beads and crystals and I'm combining them in a way to make a pair of earrings.    I do a lot of things like that that I feel are more crafts-oriented than true art.   That, and I feel utterly unartistic.

We have this room in our house that we tried really hard to call, "second storage" (because we stored stuff in there and it was on the second floor.)   What we stored in there was all my craft stuff though, so it ended up being called "the craft room" instead.    I felt badly about it because I didn't want to make it seem like it was my room with all my girly craft stuff in it like doilies and beads and balloons and wrapping paper and my meat gun.

You don't have a meat gun?  I'm off subject, but it's true, I have a drawer that has a label on it that says, "meat gun".  I went a little haywire with the label maker at one point.  But it does make it easier to find things in a room with lots of containers full of all sorts of different things.   One day when we were working in the craft room, my husband asked me what the heck a meat gun was.  I told him I didn't know.   He said, "well it says you have one right here on this drawer.    Are you not telling me something I should know?"

"Oh," I said, "that's my heat gun, not meat gun."   I've never gotten around to fixing that label.   But back to the craft room and my husband.    So that room is mostly filled with my things.    That's not to say my husband doesn't want to do crafts of his own.   Only his crafts are more of what I'd call, "boy crafts."

Of late, he's working on building a mini-foundry with things you can get at a home improvement store and recycled items.    There is a distinct chance we're going to have a nice burned spot in the grass in our back yard in the coming weeks, but then again, I'm the pessimistic one.   Or wait, let's all hope for burned grass and completely safe and sound body parts.  Are you with me on this wish?

For now, we're putting any aluminum cans to the side so that my husband can make an aluminum ingot.    Then, he's going to make something.   I'm not sure what he's going to make.    Hold tight for now.  I'll let you know when I know.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has been re-interested in Duplo Lego blocks of late.   He's been able to build more complex models with them easier than he can do the regular Legos.   Tonight as he was building something he told me, "this is a tricky part for grown-ups."   Then he showed me how he put the next several pieces together in the tricky fashion by putting one on top of the other.    I told him that was some impressive tricky stuff and I was glad he was able to do it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Zingo.   My neighbor that I run with got this game called Zingo for my daughter for her birthday.  It is a very easy version of Bingo and my daughter just loves it.    She is so socially-focused though that she has no interest in winning.   If a card comes up that you have, she will make sure it goes on your zingo card, even if she has a need for that same picture on her card.

No comments:

Post a Comment