Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Too Tiny Changing Table

When you have a baby you can purchase this little block of foam that you put on your dresser to change your baby on.  There are fuzzy covers that feel nice to you and the baby and it's a fun spot to clean up pee and poo and tickle the toes of the little infant.

Later, the little tyke learns to roll over and you're glad for the raised foam sides.   Soon enough you decide you'd better use the latching strap so that miss or mister squirmy doesn't fall off while you grab the new container of wipes three feet to the left.

It's not long after that that they can get out of the strap through sheer force and determination and it becomes more of a hazard than a help, so you cut them off.   Next, they children are able to slide off the dresser and get themselves down if they don't feel like staying.  

By now, their legs are so long that they hang well over the end of the changing pad.   So why haven't I gotten rid of it, you ask?  I'd love to, but I'm holding out in the hopes they will tolerate it for just a little longer so I don't have to get up and down from the floor to help them with their clothes.

I can run a marathon, but getting down to their level and then getting back up again is just not fun with my spine.   So for now, the changing pad stays.   It's still foamy, even though the foam wasn't designed for three-year-olds.   It's still fuzzy, but the fuzz has been matted down a good bit by now.   And it's definitely more comfortable than changing the children on the floor.

The Big Boy Update:  This past weekend we were having pancakes.  I asked my son what shape he wanted, expecting him to say, "Mickey Mouse!" but was surprised to hear that what he really wanted was a triangle-shaped pancake.   They must have tasted okay because his next request was for a rectangle-shaped pancake.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Poopy goes in the potty."  My daughter is getting better at toileting lately.  This afternoon after school she was in the kitchen playing with some of her kitchen toys when I saw her stand up and say to herself, "poopy goes in the potty".  I think she just got the, "I need to go right now" message.  I said, "quick, go to the potty" but she was already scampering off in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment