Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blind Mental Mapping

I don't want to be blind.  I'm grateful for being able to see.   Sometimes we don't realize what our brains are doing to make a mental map of our world, even when we can't see a thing.

Last night I needed to get something after I'd gone to bed.  I was in a room at my parent's home and it was dark.  It was so dark that I couldn't see much of anything, but I needed to get to one of my possessions, regardless.  

I got up and walked along the side of the bed.  I reached out about where I thought the chair would be and found my purse, right where I expected it to be.  I knew where the zipper was on the outside and once I had the compartment opened I found two little bottles of eye drops.   One of those bottles contained allergy drops, which I didn't need, while the other contained moisture drops, which was what I had been going for from the start.  That bottle was slightly larger and my hands could tell which dropper bottle was larger.  

I put the drops in my eyes, returned the bottles, zipped the pocket closed, put the purse back down, got back in bed and pulled the covers over me.   That's when I realized I'd, "seen" the entire process as I'd done it.   I hadn't actually seen anything, but because I knew what everything looked like, I'd mentally followed along in the dark just like I'd been getting those eye drops in a well-lit room.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way to the mountains my son wanted very badly to get to Mimi and Gramp's house.  He asked not once, not twice, but five times, "are we there yet?"  I couldn't help but laugh at the classic child's question.   We don't know where he heard that specific long-car ride question, but he sure knew how to use it at just the right time.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She had a fever last night and today and we're not sure why.  It could be a tooth thing again.  No one else is sick and my son is overly-energetic after a long ride home from the mountains.   Her fever was mostly gone this afternoon.  Hopefully she'll be better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment