Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Thousand Pounds of Sand...

...is heavy.

We have a play structure in our back yard with a square bottom.  We've debated filling in this area with sand for some time and yesterday I decided that's what I wanted to do for the afternoon.   I went and got thick black plastic and five-hundred pounds of sand from Lowes.

That might sound like a lot, but sand is heavy, so it fit in the back part of the minivan easily.  I got home, staked and then stapled the black plastic into the box and then we started hauling the sand around back with the children's wagon.  

The children had been excited about the stakes and black plastic, but when the sand started showing up, there was reason to celebrate they decided.   Ten bags later and I realized we weren't going to have enough to really fill the box so I sent my husband back to the store for ten more bags.

We put in nine-hundred pounds and saved out two bags for topping of later when the current sand gets dirty.   It was hard to put the sand in for the children in the way, but they helped where they could.

They love the new sand box.  My son told me as I put him to bed tonight that he wanted to go back tomorrow morning and play some more.

The Big Boy Update:  We had some peas at lunch from the salad bar before the main meal arrived.  I told my son he needed to eat some.   He told me, "foxes don't like peas".   (His middle name is Fox.)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   We had some window art put in that was done by a childhood friend of mine.   We had one panel made specifically for my daughter and one panel that represented my son.   The next morning, my daughter looked up at the other two panels and said, "that one's mommy's and that one's daddy's.  Where is Mimi and Gramp's window?"

Fitness Update:   We ran twelve miles today.  I don't think I ate enough the night before because I was very tired at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment