Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Egads, What Have I Done?

Have I gone off the deep end of the pool without having my water wings on?  Did I order the ghost pepper fire hot wings and make a bet I could eat them all without tearing up?  Did I commit to endless weeks of training to run a marathon, like only the crazy people do?   Well, okay, I did do the last one, and it was fun, other than the pain.

What I did today was something I didn't think I'd ever do, I bought a Mac.   I've been PC all my life.  I even worked for IBM for many years.   I never had any issue with Mac versus PC, I just knew PC better and it suited me for the uses I needed.

Of late several things have aligned that made me decide to switch.  It was hardware facilitated mostly, with the monitor and connectivity that was seamless and effortless to connect along with the needs for a laptop for some of the work I've been doing.  I was growing tired of borrowing my husband's laptop and then having to move things back and forth before and after I used it.

Now I have one machine and if you didn't know it, it would look like I'm at a desktop writing this tonight.  Friday, when we leave to go visit my parents, I'll pull the laptop out from under the monitor stand and everything will be just the same as it was at the desk here, only with a smaller monitor and attached keyboard.

So all of that is great.   The only problem is the learning curve.  The Mac learning curve.   I know how to do just what I want to do on a Windows-based machine.   I know what I want to do on a Mac, but I don't know how to do it or even find the equivalent of how to do it.   So there will be swearing.   Lots of swearing.

Uncle Jonathan is on call to help me through the worst of it.  But by golly, I'm going to figure it all out.   So far today, with only a few hours in, there is a lot more, "hey honey, look at this!" going on than swearing.   Let's hope the trend continues.

The Big Boy Update:  Last night daddy was reading my son a book and the dog decided to bark.  My son looked at her and said, "shh, Lucy, we're reading a book."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Today my son wanted to put on his sister's Snow White costume that she absolutely hated last Halloween.  It hasn't been worn much since.   She was immediately upset because she wanted to wear it.   Three minutes later when he decided he didn't want to wear it, I put it on her and she wore it until bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment