Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Fiftieth Party

This post has been six months coming.  I've been waiting and I've not been able to say anything here. Not one damn thing.   It's been hard.  It's been tough and that's because it was a secret.  A secret specifically from my parents, who both read this blog.

It has been a fun six months starting with my calendar reminder on January 2nd saying, "Plan mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary party."  I had some great people who each helped me in different ways.  There was Mary Louise who was my cover story from the beginning which gave us a reason to visit my parents on the weekend of their anniversary.  There was Loretta, one of my parent's closest friends, who knew all my parents friends and helped me plan everything with the country club.   I had the pleasure of getting to know Eric, with their club, who was absolutely a delight to work with.

Venue reserved in February, guest list finalized in March, "Save the Date" cards mailed in April and invitations sent in May and the calls and emails started coming in about how excited my parent's friends were that there was going to be a party to celebrate their anniversary.

We didn't think my parents knew but we weren't sure.   There was the problem of my mother calling to make a reservation for dinner on their anniversary evening with my husband and me.  A reservation that couldn't be made, because the entire club was booked for other events.   Not to worry though, she was skillfully lied to by Eric, who called me afterwards to tell me, "she totally bought it.  I've made her a reservation in the private room you're having the party in."

So we had my parent's going to dinner in the room of their surprise party...and we thought they still didn't know.   Flowers were ordered, menus were finalized.  I made a slide show from pictures I got by going through my parent's photos and adding in many great pictures their friends had mailed to me in preparation for the event.

Thursday night my parents were going to a celebration dinner with three other couples.   They were going to dinner at the club and I hoped they still didn't know.   I was a bit concerned though because my mother had called earlier in the day to confirm their reservation...that didn't exist...for a-la-carte dining on an evening where there was no such service.   Was our cover blown?

I get an email from Eric at 7:15PM saying, "call me" with his number.   Oh dear!  I called him and he said, "there here tonight with friends.  I wanted to tell you...they have no idea!"   He said they had mom's phone call intercepted and she had been told that yes, they had her reservation for Friday night.   I told him he gave me a fright and that I simply could not wait to meet him tomorrow because he had made the evening not only possible, but fun.

Friday arrives and we make it through the last day of school.  My father's sister drives two hours to get to our house and then we all head to the mountains together.   Family members were coming in from multiple locations and the time of the party was only hours away.   We get to my parent's house and in short order the sitter (whom my mother had scheduled but I had alerted to the evening's plans) arrived and we chatted quietly about the upcoming big surprise.   She wished us luck and we drove off.

Eric met my parents at the entrance to the club and directed us to the private room, not the main dining, explaining that the murder mystery was delayed because two actors were late to show up, but not to worry, we would be in the Laurel Room with two other tables and he hoped we enjoyed our meal.

My parents looked a little confused at the redirection of their seating but just then two people opened the doors to and Eric said, "enjoy your party!"   Everyone was there, smiling, taking pictures, shouting "Surprise!" and  "Congratulations!"   The looks of confusion and surprise on my parent's faces were simply wonderful.

The evening was truly one to remember.  My parents had many toasts from friends and family members.   They cut another wedding cake together and we all laughed at the pictures in the slide show of outdated haircuts, glasses and clothing styles.

I'd like to thank all of our family and friends who made a special trip to share in the party last night.  Mom and dad have been talking about the party all day and I'm not sure any of us are done smiling as we remember the evening's fun.

I love you mom and dad.   Happy 50th anniversary!

The Big Boy Update:  "Nack-um"  That's how my son pronounces, "napkin".  I've been over-enunciating it correctly lately, hoping he'd catch on, but he seems confident in his pronunciation.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Cricket eater.   At a fudge store check-out line today I saw a package of crickets you could buy and eat.  There was bacon cheddar and salt and vinegar.   The crickets weren't battered, although they were cooked and flavored.  I got the salt and vinegar ones.  My son didn't want to try them, but my daughter ate one.   She seemed to like it just fine.   It tasted a lot like a potato chip to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment