Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tri-a-Lot

I've signed up for a mini-triathlon with my niece, Olivia.  She's done these kinds of things before and I have not.  She is an excellent swimmer while I can make it to the other side of the pool.  She and I can both ride a bicycle and I am fine on the running portion, while she dislikes that leg of the race.

Today the organizers had a clinic to help you understand what will happen as you transition from swimming to biking and then biking to running.  We brought our planned gear and then we set up our things beside our bike.  The organizer, who has a significant amount of experience in the area of triathlons, gave us a lot of information on what works well, what takes longer, what might be frustrating to you and what her personal preferences were.

Overall, I was glad I'm a minimalist and had worn only what I would need for the event.  I had considered what would be unnecessary and what I would have to have for the event.  And I think I'll be fine in what I brought to the trial run today as long as it's not very cold.  If it's cold, it's going to be a whole other event.  Or raining.  Let's hope for no rain.

We went to the pool and I did some laps in the processional order they had discussed.  I gasped for air at the end because I'd already run eighteen miles today and I was tired.   I put on my shoes quickly and ran to the staging area with the bikes.  The gasping was over at that point because, hey, my body knows how to run, but it sure seemed to dislike swiming.

I got on my bike and got to see how you can't mount until the starting area for that segment; I rode around the parking lot several times and then I came back in, parked the bike and did a bit of running on the sidewalk to finish off the clinic.

It was very helpful to see how everything flows through the three stages.  It's a short race overall at 400 meters swimming, seven miles biking and 1.8 miles running.  The race is in two weeks.  I think it's going to be fun.  I also think Olivia is going to beat me pretty darn easily.

The Big Boy Update:  No so nappy.  He's either a great sleeper, taking a long nap, or he never gets tired and refuses to sleep.  Today is a non-napping day.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter didn't want to sleep in her bed for nap.  She made a bit of a fuss and then got quiet.  When my husband went to check on her, she had climbed onto the chair and then climbed onto the top of the dresser, laid down on her stomach and went straight to sleep. 

Fitness Update:  18.2 miles this morning.  We were fine.  Completely fine.  Tired, yes, but if we had needed to run to twenty miles, we both agreed that wouldn't have been a problem.  Would we have wanted to go to 26.2?  I don't think so.  But we're only eight miles away from that magic marathon distance.  Oh, and it was fifty-six degrees when we started running and never got above seventy, which we both agree made a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment