Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Wireless Technology Phone Survey

I'm trying to remember when this occurred, but I know it was before 1997.  I was living in my first home when I answered a call one day and was asked to participate in a survey on wireless technology.  I didn't know much about wireless technology and the image that came to mind was computers not needing power cables and mouses not needing connector cables.

Today, those things have become a reality, but what this survey was about was wireless internet connectivity technology.  "Sure," I said.  I'd be glad to take time to answer the questions.  I had a spare ten minutes. 

Most of the questions were along the lines of, "do you think you would take advantage of wireless communication if it were available in an airport?"  The questions were all about when and where wireless connectivity would be and if I might take advantage of it.  There were questions about my willingness to adopt wireless access hardware in any computers I might be buying.   There was nothing about phones; this was way before the advent of the smart phone.

I answered in the affirmative for most of the questions, but I was skeptical.  Were we really going to have wireless connectivity in the future in all those locations?  Would people use it and if so, how much would it cost?

We know the answer now because wireless connectivity is so prevalent in our lives and our devices rely heavily on the ability to communicate consistently.  For that matter, we rely on it too.  Imagine not being able to check your email, or the weather forecast, or look up a movie review and movie times whenever and wherever you are.

At the time I took that survey, I didn't imagine at all what we have today and how we're all connected all the time.

The Big Boy Update:  He had a plastic slinky he and his sister were playing with the other day.  They played well together for a good while and then I saw him sneaking off with it when she wasn't looking.  I followed him into the kitchen and saw him open the warming drawer, put the slinky in and then close the drawer.  He looked up and said, "I'm hiding the slinky so my sister can't have it."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  She likes to sing on the potty.  Recently, she got on the big potty, went and then flushed.  But she wasn't done getting on and off the potty and, apparently, she wanted to be alone.  She shut the door to the toilet room and told me to walk away.  I heard her get on and off the toilet several times, flush and sing to herself, all in the dark of the room.

Fitness Update:  Longest distance ever at 20.2 miles today.  I'm about as tired as I was when I ran the sixteen miles and about the same level of tired as I was a week later when I ran eighteen miles.  So, it looks like this training plan is working; my body is becoming accustomed to the longer distances.  Two or three more weeks of long runs and then we drop back to very little running the last two weeks before the marathon to rest our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment