Friday, September 20, 2013

The Unexpected Proximity Situation

We have nice neighbors.  We've made many great friends with people who have moved into our neighborhood and onto our street.  The first neighbors we had moved in after living alone on our street for a year-and-a-half.  They have a child that's right between our two children in age and now they have a second child that's nine-months-old.

We see these neighbors out in our yards frequently as our children love to play outdoors during the warmer months.  I enjoy having a beer with them and frequently bring out more than one beer because I know someone will be glad to have a cold drink on a hot day.

We borrow things from each other and have recently introduced a "toy swap" because fresh toys seem like new toys to toddlers and keep interest levels up and play time more fun for everyone.  In short, we've got a good thing going with these nice neighbors next door.

And then yesterday, something unexpected happened: I found my head between my neighbor's husband's legs and his hands in my mouth.  I know what you're thinking, "but I thought you were a happily married woman!"  And I am.  The thing is, he's a dentist and I started seeing him for my dental needs this week.

So, everything was on the up and up, but it was an interesting thing when it happened.  My prior dentist was an older man that was always just, "my dentist".  I never thought about how he had to get quite close to my head on his stool so that he could see in order to do his job.  Of course he had to put his gloved fingers into my mouth to work on my teeth.  He was my dentist and that's what they do.

And yet here was my friend, who's wife and I commiserate about the joys and traumas of diapers and loss of sleep.  And he's such a personable guy in a social setting; he's funny and fun and a good dad.  It's just that when I got into his dental chair and he started ripping up the tooth that badly needed a crown, I started realizing that both the dentist and his technician needed, by necessity, to be quite close to me: closer than you are in a general social situation.

Did he do a good job?  Yes, he did.  I'm very pleased.  I'm glad to have switched to him.  Most dentists don't check up on you after their long work day as your kids play together in the back yard.

The Big Boy Update:  While we were riding on our bicycles to school the other day I told him that the trails we were on were called "bike and bridle" trails.  Mostly because they were for bicycles and horses.  I told him that horses had something called a bridle that they wore to help them know where we wanted them to go.  He suddenly said, "Mimi has a pony!"  I didn't know what he meant until I asked him what the name of Mimi's pony was.  "Giddayup," he said.  And then I realized what he meant; Mimi rides him up and down on her bouncing knee and sings the Giddayup song to him. It's his favorite.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Potty progress?  It's touch and go but today something happened that surprised me.  She loves going on the big potty and had been successful about an hour before.  I was trying to get her brother to go when I realized she was no where to be found.  She came running out of the bedroom saying, "I go potty again!" carrying her pants.  And yes, she got her pants and diaper off and did go in the potty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment