Sunday, September 8, 2013

Impromptu Zoo

Sunday morning and daddy and I tried to sleep in late.  Have you ever tried to sleep in when you have toddlers?  The amount of banging and clunking and crying (is it serious or is someone just angry?) and after a while it's not really possible to keep sleeping.   Besides, the children are getting hungry and you don't want a morning food meltdown on your hands if you can prevent it.

Breakfasts had been served and coffee made, I informed my son that no, I wasn't putting Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the television but a cooking show and that he could continue eating at the table.   That's when the phone rang. 

The caller ID said it was my in-laws.  My husband began a conversation with them and I could tell he wasn't that keen on whatever it was they were suggesting.  He didn't want to drive three hours today.  What in the world was he talking to them about?  He said he'd talk to me and call them back.

They wanted to meet at the zoo.  What a great idea.  We haven't been with the children and I had no idea what to do with them today so I was ready to pack the car and get on the road.  After a bit of discussion we planned on leaving in a half-hour. 

The decision was really made for us after daddy asked my son if he wanted to go to the zoo, to which he replied, "the animals are at the zoo."  He then told daddy lots of other things about the zoo we didn't know he knew.

We had a busy, fun, tiring and hot day at the zoo in which my children loved seeing so many different animals.  My daughter wasn't quite able to make it to the elephants before falling asleep.  We didn't make it to all the exhibits so we plan on going back.  I think my son would be ready to go again in the morning, he had such a good time today.

The Big Boy Update:  My son somehow managed to squirt or pour the majority of his juice out of the new sippy cup I had given him this morning.  His shirt was drenched and his pants were soaked.  As I took him to the bathroom for a change he handed me the cup and said, "this is a waterfall-tainer." 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Uh oh!"  We watched a seven minute video with clips from one of the Ice Age movies today in a small theater at the zoo.  It was dark and my daughter was sitting on my lap.  The squirrel in the show was having trouble keeping control of three eggs and as they went rolling down the snow-covered hill away from him my daughter pointed at the screen and said, "uh oh.  UH OH!" and she looked back at me to make sure I knew there was a problem happening on the screen. 

Fitness Update:  Why is it I can run for hours and be fine but pushing a stroller around and picking up a child from time to time to show them animals at the zoo and be far more tired than I feel I should be?

No comments:

Post a Comment