Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sing A Song of Who Knows

There is a lot of singing going on in our family of late.  My daughter started it some time ago with her never-ending renditions of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and now the music is getting more prevalent.  It's mostly in the car, or when one of the children isn't occupied with something specific.  It's also mostly my daughter, who seems to love singing.

The thing is, my daughter doesn't know, or understand, many of the words in the song.  For instance, she sings, "kwinkle kwinkle little staar" usually.  The second line, when she decided to sing it, isn't the traditional words either.  In fact, it's usually completely unrelated and regularly-changing words.

She sings the "This Old Man" song a lot lately, with the words, "kee kee one" as the second half of the first line.  She then doesn't remember what the man does once he plays one, so she makes that up too.  You can sing it back to her and she'll sing her own version after you.

She and my son have also been working on Frere Jacques, which doesn't cause them any problems in a second language because they're not getting the English words correct a lot of the time.  My daughter was singing the English words in the car after school today saying, "daddy's sleeping, daddy's sleeping" to which my son got very upset and insisted daddy was not sleeping.  My daughter didn't care and kept singing.

A lot of this has happened recently because we've been playing more children's songs while riding in the car.  My husband and I have gotten several stuck in our heads, including, The Grand Old Duke Of York, which is now going to go round and round in my brain for the rest of the night, just because I typed this here.

All in all, it's been fun to listen to them sing and fun to sing with them.

The Big Boy Update:  Our neighbors put up some impressive Halloween decorations the other day (I know, early, right?) and when we drove by their house and saw the giant inflatable pirate ship and pumpkin with the ghost coming out of it, my son said, "Hey, listen to me.  Let's go see Hudson's pumpkin."  So after we parked the car, we did.  I thought they were great.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Not afraid.  We went to the Halloween store the other day.  My son was scared by the motion activated displays with a scary dog jumping out at you or a skeleton doing something spooky.  My daughter not only didn't care, she thought it was hilarious.  She commented after seeing a zombie munching on a rubber limb, "yummy yummy yummy."

Fitness Update:  Mid-week half-length run at 10.5 miles this afternoon with Uncle Jonathan.  He made me run, "The Hateful Route" as I named it a while back because of all the steep hills and switchbacks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment