Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Poop, The Phone and the Not Again Groan

Yesterday my son came home with underpants on the outside of his shorts.  His teacher was giggling as she delivered him to me, because he had decided he wanted to wear his pants that way.  I giggled too.  It's great when children don't care about societal norms and do whatever feels natural or fun.

Later, after lunch, my son was quiet in a corner for too long.  One of those, "damn, when was the last time I sent him to the potty" thoughts came into my head and sure enough, he was sitting in a messy pair of pants. 

The pants were messy, but what made it worse was it was un-contained because his underpants were on the outside of his pants and there was no elastic waste band to keep the solids in place.  At this point, it was more a general region of smushed-ness with debris barely holding on at the edges.

When I got him to the potty, I already had a mess to clean up on the tile floor.  Then, he realized the diaper rash he had was being irritated by the mess and he started to squirm on the potty, which made a bigger mess on and around him.  And by "around", I mean in places it shouldn't have been, such as his shoulder. 

I tried to get him undressed in the most calm fashion I could muster and I stuck him in the tub with instructions to stand against the faucet to get clean.   I will tell you right now, poop was everywhere and I was not happy.  Then, his sister tried to change the temperature to first all-hot and then all-cold and I was even less-thrilled at everyone in the cramped bathroom. 

It was about this time that I heard a strange clunk in the bathtub that I realized with horror a half-second later was my iPhone.   "Nooooo!", I mentally cried as I grabbed it out of the water, dried it off and tried to get water out of any openings I could while keeping the small children under control.

After cleaning both of them up (her too, as she decided to make a mess herself to add to the chaos), I went to check on my phone.  Not another dead phone due to poor owner-management, I pleaded.  Alas, the screen was going wonky.  It was going hazy.  It was messing up.  In short, water got in.   Damn.

I put one to bed and the situation was no better.  I put the second one off in a safe place to play and got out the hair dryer, not expecting anything to come of this attempt to dry it out.  But it did help, miraculously, and the phone is utterly fine.  I am grateful, although I know not to whom, for making the phone so resilient in the face of moisture.

The Big Boy Update:  "I want the red one."  He has a color preference regularly now and that color preference is more likely to be red than any other color.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The very soapy morning.  This morning both my children were on the counter, feet and legs drenched in the sink with their sleeping clothes on, repeatedly washing themselves.  They had used up the entire bottle of soap and had gotten water everywhere in the process.  I was, needless to say, thrilled to start our morning that way.

Fitness Update:  Electric Run last night in which we ran a 5K in the dark.  We ran (or mostly walked) with friends and some children and had a very fun evening.  Next year, we're taking the kids along.

1 comment:

  1. Next time it gets wet (chances are there will be a next time) DON'T turn it on. Instead immediately immerse it in dry rice. The rice sucks out any wetness. After an hour or so, or when it it is dessert dry, then turn it on. They say the worst thing you can do is turn it on wet. Shorts out the circuitry. Just a helpful hint for next time. Glad it worked out thus time!

    ReplyDelete