Monday, September 2, 2013

The Tree, The Rock, The Car and the Chalk

Before you get worried, this story ends well.  I chew on my fingernails enough for all of us some days so I don't want to add any undue stress and as my blog posts commonly have very serious subjects where the future of millions sway in the balance, I thought I'd prepare you in advance for a more mundane story.

My neighbor told me some time back how her twins drew a heart on their father's car for Valentines day.  They drew this very special message with a rock, in the paint.  So far, we haven't had any stories to match that one and as you can well imagine, I hope our lives will be so utterly boring in the mischief and mayhem area with our children that none will ever come to light...but I highly doubt we'll get off that easy.

Today we pulled out the sidewalk chalk and my two children started marking up the driveway.  My son decided he wanted to mark on the brick stairs, which was fine and my daughter discovered the low-voltage lights would accept a change of color most readily. 

My husband and I weren't paying attention but we did notice my son taking a rock onto the driveway for more chalk investigations.  That's when he disappeared.  Sometimes, when a small child disappears, it's a good thing.  They're not bothering you to entertain them or asking question upon question or being a general impedance to your getting whatever other task you had on your list completed.   But most of the times with toddlers, silence is bad. 

Toddlers can get into all manner of trouble without having any idea they're getting into trouble.  I noticed my daughter had wandered over to the tree and was trying to color the tree trunk with chalk.  Mental note: "good, she's not wandering down the street like she tried to do earlier."  But where was my son?

The next thing I hear was daddy shouting things like, "No!  Never!" to my son, who was dragged outside and told chalk was meant for the sidewalk and driveway.  What had he done?  He had colored our cars with the chalk.

He had made some nice doodles and fortunately, chalk wipes right off.  But we had to help him understand you don't write on the car.  Ever.  This time, we got lucky.

The Big Boy Update:  Drawing on the car...in chalk.  He decorated our cars in chalk.  While a nice touch, it's a precedent we had to squash in case he gets ideas to draw on our car with other things in the future.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:
  "Go Gabba Gabba"  She has seen the show Yo Gabba Gabba recently and liked it.  She must like saying the syllables together because she says it several times a day.  That, or she's asking for the show to be put back on.

Fitness Update:  16.4 miles on a very humid and hot morning.  It was tiring.  I'm still a bit tired.  I'm looking forward to cooler weather and easier runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment