Monday, September 23, 2013

26.3 (But Not By Me)

Uncle Jonathan, my neighbor and I have been training for a marathon that's in early November.  We've each had our longest distance runs not that long ago.  Uncle Jonathan was beating us by about a mile in longest distance, but we were all three up there in the, "close enough to be able to run the marathon tomorrow if you needed to" category to make no never mind.

Uncle Jonathan usually can't run on the weekends for a long run due to his work schedule and my neighbor has a hard time during the week because of her work, so it's been tough to get us all three together for runs other than mid-week medium length runs or other general runs during the week. 

Uncle Jonathan left this afternoon for a run of indeterminate length shortly before I went to my eye doctor checkup.  I had a long appointment as they made sure everything was as expected.  I ran another errand, came back, fed the children dinner and then daddy and I were talking about what we wanted to do for dinner.  Hm, wait, where is Uncle Jonathan?  Hey, he's still running!

We wondered if he was going for the full marathon distance and right after that my phone rang.  It was Uncle Jonathan calling.  I was scared for a second because he could have been calling to say he was injured or in need of help.  But he was fine.  He asked me if I could meet him, "in approximately seventeen minutes" to run in the last two miles of the marathon distance he was about to run.

Well hell yes I was available to run him in!  I grabbed my running clothes and dashed out the door.  I didn't know which way he was exiting the park so I ran back and forth in front of the two exits waiting for him to appear and in short order he broke through the trees and crossed the street.

He had another two miles to go so we ran around the neighborhood.  He was doing really well after running for over four hours.  He said he wanted to run not only the marathon at 26.2 miles, but he wanted to go to 26.3 miles.  What a great idea.

Everyone we passed along the way I shouted to, "I have to brag and tell you my friend here is just finishing his first marathon."  I am most certain Uncle Jonathan was super thrilled I was doing this.

Congratulations Uncle Jonathan.

The Big Boy Update:  Late nap through bedtime.  He didn't nap and got very cranky.  He and his sister have an early school year runny nose and when I finally got him to sleep he slept until almost bedtime.  We woke him up to give him some Bendaryl for his very itchy skin (it's a bad week) and he hardly argued when we put the blanket back over him.  He rolled over and went right back to sleep.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tickle Finger.  She was investigating our fingers tonight and daddy told her one of his fingers was ticklish.  She touched the fingers until she got the right one and daddy pretended it was so ticklish that he couldn't stop laughing.  She was so excited she did this crazy giggle laugh.  She touched his, "ticklish finger" again and again and we all three laughed and laughed.  Little girls laughing can sure make adults laugh.

Fitness Update:  Three miles running Uncle Jonathan in from his first marathon distance run.  So fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment