Monday, September 16, 2013

Marathon Memories

I knew very little about what a marathon was as a child.  My parents weren't runners and we didn't have anyone in our neighborhood who was a runner.  But I do have two specific memories of marathons from my youth, both of which gave me an understand of how long an grueling it must be to run one.

First, I remember watching something on television.  My parents didn't watch sports that much, but for some reason they were watching a marathon.  I want to say it was around the time of the summer Olympics, but I'm not sure.  I have a feeling the race was in California, but I'm not sure of that either.   What I do remember was my parents telling me how far they were running.  They used a comparison that I was able to grasp, like that it was almost as far as running to your aunt and uncle's house.  I remember being amazed that people both could and then would run that far. 

The second memory was from when I was much older.  We were at the college my mother worked at and a marathon ran by the front entrance.  At the point we were watching, the runners were quite close to the finish line.  I remember my father calling out to them at one point, "great job, you're almost half-way there!"  I couldn't decided if he was funny, clever or mean for saying that.  I was hoping those tired runners knew they were very close to the end either way.

I don't know what marathon that was that we watched, but it could well be the one I'll be running in November as that marathon also runs by the entrance to the college my mother worked at that I eventually went to. 

The Big Boy Update:  He likes playing in those play areas at the fast food places.  In order to conserve space and get the maximum value for the footprint, most of the places are multiple levels high with a maze-like structure that adults can climb in, but wouldn't really want to.  My son doesn't get consequences enough yet to realize he must come down or we'll a) leave him stranded (empty threat), b) eat the rest of his food (he doesn't care) c) make him take a nap when he gets home ("I not nap") d) remove toy privileges ("okay") or e) anything else you can come up with to have him comply.  It's either wait for him to slide down the slide or go and get him. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "I want to go outside."  She is getting better at enunciation every day.  This afternoon she told Gramps she wanted to go outside in a very clear and concise voice.  When he didn't open the door immediately, she explained again and pointed to the swing set.

No comments:

Post a Comment