Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Security Light Reminiscence

We use our cell phones as flash lights in dark situations these days.  It wasn't always so easy to find your way when the lights were out thought.   For that matter, there weren't always lights when it was dark, but as I'm a child of the 1970's, I have had the luxury of living in a world with electricity and lights so my perspective is skewed.

When I was in elementary school I remember my parents had friends over for dinner one night.  The husband was a doctor and I don't know how the two families met, but they were friends for some years.  That night he brought over a nifty new piece of technology he had, "The Emergency Light."

All right, truthfully I don't know what the thing was called, but it was an emergency light to me.  It plugged into the outlet in your room and sat there doing nothing, that is, until there was an interruption in power.  At that point, the bright flash light component at the top lit up and you had light in the night, in the storm, in the whatever it was that merited light. 

Speaking of, if you just needed a flashlight you could pull it out of the wall and presto, you had an unwieldy yet workable flashlight.  All due to a rechargeable battery and some advances in circuitry.   This is all boring and old news today, but that little light sat on the wall in my parents room for many many years, ready to serve if it was ever needed.

That doctor I later learned was at the general practice I went to whenever I needed general medical assistance.  I remembered him being somewhat larger and discovered from my parents that he had been, until he lost a lung due to cancer.   I also bought a town home just across the street from where they lived, but that was much later too.  Sometimes, when I drove home I would think about that doctor with the one lung and the emergency flash light as I turned into my parking lot.

The Big Boy Update:  Mickey Mouse Club House.  He is still nuts about this show.  He is also intrigued with the iPad.  Both are reserved for times of need.  Or at least the iPad is.  I think we bring it out about once every two weeks and I don't mind if I forget about it all together.  The good news is he doesn't remember it enough to ask for it so it always performs the magic of keeping him occupied in special cases when that's important.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I want outside.  She really wants to go outside, all the time, in any weather.  This afternoon she went outside with Nana and enjoyed swinging so much she fell asleep in the swing.

Someone Once Said:  Better to be tempted and resist, than be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment