Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Cherry Squeeze Its Ticket

Have you ever been suspected of doing something illegal, bad, wrong, when you weren't up to anything naughty at all?  This happened to me many years ago when I was still in college.

I remember I was driving my little silver Honda Accord.  I did love that car.  I loved it for longer than I've loved any other car since.  It took me through high school and college until I could afford to buy myself my own car. 

One day I was driving down a road just around the corner from where I live now.  It was night and it was dark.  I don't know where I was going; it could have been Wal*Mart though.  I do like to shop at Wal*Mart.  Suddenly, unexpectedly, I saw the lights of a police car behind me. 

I looked at the speedometer.  No, I wasn't going fast enough to get a speeding ticket.  What could it be?   The officer came up to my window and asked me if I was drinking.  I was drinking.  I was drinking a Cherry Squeeze Its.  These things were so delicious.  You twisted off the plastic cap and then drank this cherry juice that was very much like a melted cherry Popsicle. 

I showed him what I was drinking and then I realized he had seen me driving and drinking and thought it was a beer.  He said I could go on my way and to drive safely (and don't we all drive safely after narrowly escaping a ticket?) 

I haven't seen those Squeeze Its in a long long time.  I just looked them up online and am surprised to see there's very little about them available.  I did find a picture of them though.  Oh, such delicious memories...


The Big Boy Update:  "Where are my pickles?"  Step 1: Bath.  Step 2: sit on the counter and have your hair dried by mommy with the blow dryer.  Step 3:  Try to find your "pickles".   Oh, did you perhaps mean "nipples?" 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "Money."  Today she was standing on the bench by the door to the garage.  She was doing two very fun things.  First, she was turning the light switch on and off and letting me know about each state change as it happened.  Second, she was playing with daddy's change.  She would pull them out of the container and put them on the desk and then she would put them back in.  Also, there was a lot of dropping of coins on the ground.  She looked at me, handed me a quarter and said, "money" and smiled.  I didn't even know she knew it was money. 

Someone Once Said:  Half the battle with any culture is knowing its taboos.

No comments:

Post a Comment