Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Not So Sure About This

I've been at meetings most of the day.  The building project for our school is moving along as best as it can, given that we're not completely sure we'll be moving forward.  That's not to say anything is going wrong, it's just like having a signed contract to purchase a home, but you have to wait to make sure the house is structurally sound and then there''s the termite inspection to contend with.  It's like knowing you'll get approved for that loan, but the loan is still weeks away from being complete.  Basically, it's a lot like waiting for the day you close and get the keys to your new home, only more involved and fraught with legal hurdles that apply to building a new school in a residential neighborhood with a capital campaign that's not yet begun.  So it's complicated.

Related to this whole school situation, I've been asked to be on many committees.  Lately, I was asked to be one of three co-chairs on the Capital Campaign committee.  I'm a fundraising neophyte, to say the least.  But I was glad to serve and do as much work as I can through the guidance of more experienced fundraisers.  Then some things changed.

The person who I felt the most comfortable "following" in the position of co-chair decided her family couldn't sustain the load of work it would entail.  As her husband is the chairman of our board and she is doing significant pro-Bono legal work for the school as we pursue our new location, her family is heavily time-committed already and I respect her decision to decline the offer of co-chair.

The second co-chair has been re-tasked to work just as hard on the committee, but in a different capacity.  So they have now asked me if I would be the CHAIR.  I put that in capital letters because it's how I feel it sounds and it's how scared I am of the prospects of failure at the position.  We will need to raise (hopefully) $500,000 and I will be at the top of the organizational chart if we fail.

Of course, I'll be at the top if we exceed our goals as well, but fear is a stronger motivator than the prestige of success.  I don't feel I crave the power of the position.  Do I want the campaign to be a success?  Hell yes, I do!  I just don't feel qualified, or experienced, and I don't feel I have the longevity at the school some of the other parents do.  But here I am, not saying no.

The two consultants we have working with the school--who are the ones that decided I would be the best person for the position--will be there through the whole process.  I won't be alone.  The committee will be large, and so will the work.

But I fear something may have to give.  I'm on too many committees, chairing two.  I'm going to be thinking long and hard over the next few days about what might need to give if I can't devote enough time to each of the responsibilities I've stepped up to.  I don't want to do many things to mediocrity.  I would like to do a few things well.

The Big Boy Update:  "I wearing Daddy's clip clops."  Yes, he was.  He got daddy's flip flops from the closet and made it all the way across the house in a very funny walk.  He was so happy.  Speaking of happy, he had to have blood drawn at the doctor's today.  We told him it would be over soon and he would feel better.  He said, "I want to be happy" as he cried.  I was so proud of him.  They had to stick both arms and it was uncomfortable because they had to wiggle the needle to get a good flow of blood.  He did so well. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  So cranky.  Eighteen month checkup today and she had four immunizations.  She is uncomfortable and very whiny.  We administered Advil.  On the skills front, she is a whiz at putting together and taking apart Duplo Legos.

Someone Once Said:   The notion that “truth will prevail” is merely a pious wish; history doesn’t show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment