Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Returned ATM Card

I was stuck across the street from my bank for what was at least seven hours this morning, trying to make it through rush hour traffic, just to deposit a check.  I could see the ATM.  I could imagine going up to it, inserting my card, entering my PIN and depositing that check that had been sitting in my wallet for far too long.   I wasn't sure I was ever going to get there at the rate traffic was going though.

I did eventually get there but with all that time to spare as I stared at the ATM across the street I remembered something that happened when I was in high school or maybe college.  Did I ever mention that I've never moved far from home?  That ATM I was looking at is at the bank I opened my first bank account at when I was eight.  They didn't have ATMs then but it's still the same bank.

One time, years later, I got so excited (apparently) about the money coming out of the chute at the machine that I walked off and left my ATM card.   I didn't notice it was missing, most likely because I was so busy spending that money on candy or lip gloss.  That night I came home and my father handed my my card.  What?  How did he have my card?

He said a friend he worked with had happened along to the ATM possibly right after I left.  He recognized the name, so he took the card and brought it to my father.  Now I don't live in a teeny, tiny town.  I live in the capital of my state and I live in a fairly busy area.  What incredible luck that my father's associate would happen along and save my card.

I remember dad being very nice about the whole thing, understanding how it might be possible to forget your card.  I also noticed later, that the ATM changed it's order of operations.  Initially, you got your money and then the card back.  Now, the last thing you get is the cash.  Perhaps it wasn't uncommon for people to be focused on the task at hand, "Need money!" and forget their card?

The Big Boy Update:  Red all over.  He's got an itchy, red body from whatever reaction he had yesterday.  We've lubed him up with hydra-cortisone cream but he's going to have an itchy few days until he heals. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Finding fuzz between her toes.  I completely forgot all about this until I saw my daughter doing this the other day.  She had pulled her socks off and was looking between each of her toes and getting the fuzz out from between them.  I suppose as adults our toes are too big or maybe I just have better socks because I haven't seen toe fuzz in a long time but I remember toe fuzz removal being a regular thing when I was a little girl.

Fitness Update:  Pullups.  At the gym several weeks ago, Don had us try to do pullups.   He helped us get to these high hand grips and we tried to do a single pullup.  We failed.  I asked him today if we were building muscle and would we ever be able to do pullups?  He said we could do them now and he'd show us later.  And we did.  It wasn't easy, but we each did two sets of five pullups.  Progress ladies!

Someone Once Said:  When something must be done, engineers can find a way that is economically feasible.

No comments:

Post a Comment