Monday, May 20, 2013

I'd Be Glad To...

I've been impressed with the relative lack of drama at our children's school.  To be sure, there is some, but it's mostly a few people and the rest of the people I hear talking about it are more of the, "that's a real shame" opinion rather than the, "you won't believe what I heard!" kind of attitude.

I've also seen people step up to responsibilities just because no one else was doing the work.  When people are asked if they can help, they say, "sure".  Those tasks many times aren't glamorous; they're not fun and only a few people will even realize how much work went into getting the job done when they're finished.  But they do it because the school is important to them and they respect the work and commitment of others around them.

I've been asked to do a lot of things for the school; many of them have been unexpected and several of them I've been honored to be even considered.  I got another request to help the other day, and this time it was one of those non-glamorous, not exciting, definitely boring jobs.  Could I look into trash and recycling options?

I don't know the first thing about trash.  I know I put mine into the bins and my husband takes them to the curb once a week and they get taken away.  I have not a clue what a corporation or school or museum does to make that happen.  I've seen dumpsters.  Hell, I've even illegally used them when I could find no other location to put trash when I was on vacation.  Am I the best person for the job?

I don't think I am.  But that didn't matter.  It's the attitude that matters.  It's finding out that yes, businesses contract with a trash/recycling company to collect their waste.  It's determining what size bins or dumpsters we'll need and the frequency of the collection we require.  It's figuring out how large a concrete pad and what enclosure we'll need at the new school to ensure as we grow, we'll have enough capacity.

I wasn't excited about the email.  I didn't like the request.  I responded, "I'd be glad to look into it."  And even though I didn't really want to do the job, I felt encouraged to do a better, more thorough job because I'd been able to be positive about agreeing to do it.  Who know, trash may turn out to be fascinating.

The Big Boy Update:  He is getting a lot more imaginative lately.  He plays with his toys and those toys are doing things--things that require imagination.  Most of his imagination ideas involve trucks, hooks, dump trucks and elephants.  Yesterday morning, there was a pig driving the dump truck and an elephant working the excavator.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Big potty no go.  She needs to go potty when we're out and about.  Sometime she'll even tell you.  She will happily sit on the big potty while you squat down in front of her, trying not to sit on the dirty floor or drop her into the toilet.  She will talk to you about many things, most of which you can't understand.  But she won't go potty in the big toilet.

Someone Once Said:   Great wealth is a curse—unless you enjoy moneymaking for its own sake. Even then it has serious drawbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment